Venting On Vendors!

Decorating By playingwithsugar Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 1:38am by JenniferMI

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 8

Without mentioning any business names - what's your pet peeve about online vendors - it doesn't have to be cake supplies, it could be about anything you've bought, and had a problem with the seller.

Here's my story - I had to buy some items today; all the same type, but different styles. I'm on a limited monthly budget, so I have to shop around. Well, several vendors do not sell all the styles I need. Others cannot guarantee delivery by the time I need them. And yet others, when I inquired about shipping costs, well, I was just waiting for them to say "Your first born."

It took me a couple of hours, but I finally found someone who could provide what I wanted in the time frame I needed it.

What's your story?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 8

Oh boy do I ever agree about the shipping cost.

I'd love to give SPS a try. I have a wonderful baker's supply wholesaler in my area, whom I love but they refuse to carry SPS......they only carry the Wilton plates/pillars.

So.......go to the vendor for SPS......put in what I need for a 3 tier 6 - 10 - 14........so far so good......go to checkout, wait for shipping to calculate and sure enough the shipping is equal to the product amount. icon_eek.gif How can that be?.......surely they're not that heavy, they're plastic.

....so no SPS for me icon_sad.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 8

Slow shipping!!!
I have a peeve with a company right now. I ordered cake pans on the 20th of July, and today is the 28th and they haven't been shipped yet.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 8

prices that arent true! although actually, the shown price is more expensive than the actual price.
in the uk we reduced our sales tax (vat) so prices went down. only online, and in real life, people took their time updating (and ok, it was a lot to change, but thats not the point here...), so you werent entirely sure whether that was the true price, or not. having to get to the checkout to find out makes quick comparision shopping hard!
although thankfully now thats mostly resolved.

i do love being able to track your order, thats handy. and il second shipping. im desperate for spinning leaf moulds, and sps, but essentially its a no can do with the price. (the mould arent too bad, but i just cant justify it!).
xx

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 8

Here's another one, and I would bet it goes both ways.

I can buy a huge box of cake deco supplies from a vendor in the UK, and pay minimal shipping, then get it in a few days through Royal Air Mail.

But try and buy a book and have it shipped to you, and it's at least twice as much money, and even then, it's not Royal Air, it's standard. It's not like I'm buying a copy of the Oxford Dictionary, just a cake book or magazine. I'll bet it's the same when they try to order things from this side of the pond.

I know shipping to or from Canada is outrageous, too.

About product selection - one of the vendors had a product on their website, that I needed, in a style I chose. I called them to get the information, told them what I wanted, and their response was "We don't carry that style" I said, "but it's on your website." Their response "Yes, we put all the styles available on there in case we decide to sell it. That way we don't have to re-do the website." My response? "Click!" I hung up, and went on to the next vendor.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 8

Shipping cost for 20lb buckets of fondant and 50lb bulk chocolate. I just wish there was a store nearby... shipping is outrageous.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:02am
post #7 of 8

Without a doubt, price-based shipping charges are my ultimate foe. When shipping is calculated by weight, that seems fair to me, as you are paying an actual shipping cost. But charging by item price? What a rip off. My favorite example IS cake related just because it's an easy example: let's say I just need 2 jars of luster dust and a 1 oz. bottle of gel. Most places will have a minimum shipping rate of around $8 icon_eek.gif! Drives me batty. I HATE it when shipping cost for lightweight items is high, just because the items cost a lot of $. I actually just ordered a handful of cake supplies from a U.K. ebay vendor because shipping from the UK was cheaper than from the US. What the heck?!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #8 of 8

My pet peeve also is shipping costs. I hate when I order one little item and they charge me 9.00 to ship it, that's ridiculous. I think more vendors could be fairer in their shipping prices.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%