Frustrated, Depressed And Generally Sick Of It All - Long

Lounge By YouCaterer Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 1:38am by cakesweetiecake

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 8

I'm not a very active poster but I love reading everyone else's posts. I know that is bad netiquette and I'm sorry for that. Here's my problem.
I have been a cubie my entire working life - 10 years or so. Sometimes I really enjoy my job but problem #1) lately it's not so good. About a year ago I started kicking around the cake business. I enjoy it, I'm pretty good at it (esp. for friends & family!) and it's so much less 'sensible' than my current job working for a local CU. In Maricopa, problem #2) you can't bake in your personal kitchen, you need a commercial space. My husband found these cool lofts that have storefront properties underneath, which I love, but #3) we're so upside down in our house we can't get out without a short sale, which may be feasible, esp since problem #4) I've had 2 major spinal surgeries since we moved into the house. We need the money I make at my cubie job to pay for the house that we can no longer care for, which is compounding my back issues.

I'm totally venting and I hate even sounding this weak but I thought maybe the brilliance of CC could help me... even though it's not strictly a caking question.

Can anyone help? Suggestions, ideas, anything? Surely someone, somewhere is in a situation similar to mine. Thank you all so much for everything you have taught me and helped me with in the past. I appreciate it so much.

Enjoy your day! icon_lol.gif

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 8

its past my bedtime, so all i will say is i understand!
what has lifted me out of my slump is my summer job as a play worker, which i love. now tomoro im back to the realities of my usual, soul destroying job, so im not likely to be counting my blessings quite as much!

what is meant by a cubie job anyway?
heres hoping we both get a lotto win icon_smile.gif
xx

YouCaterer Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry about that. Cubie is a term I coined that means you're stuck in a cubicle, usually crunching numbers, while your soul dissipates. It doesn't have to be numbers though. icon_wink.gif

YouCaterer Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 8

And thanks for the bit of encouragement!!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 8

Hi UCater-

I work as an accountant by day. I figure I use my number crunching salary to pay for my ICES, cake camp etc. Try to join your local cake club in your area.

If you have time take cake classes at your local college, craft area. I was a student on weekends and completed a baking and pastry program at the International Culinary School in NY.

I work with accountants and computer techs all day. Cake decorating is my outlet and hobby

I'm working at another cake studio now. See if you can get a cake decorating internship at a bakery. .

Otherwise cc forum, joining your local cake club, joining ICES keeps me in touch with the cake world.

YouCaterer Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 8

More helpful advice ~ how do you keep from going crazy when work is slow and you know you could be doing other things i.e. practicing with fondant? I literally have thought of bringing fondant to work and doing my thing in my cube! UGH.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 8

Are you allowed to work from home at all?

My DH does this a couple of days a week and in between phone meetings, he goes for a jog, mows the lawn, etc......his sanity has definitely improved since he's been getting out of the office a couple of days. He's in banking.

He also feels he's more productive. Maybe you could speak to your boss about working from home, a lot of companies are offering that now.,

I'm sorry you're feeling down.....I hope things turn around for you real soon, and definitely increase your activity on the forums here, it's a great "escape". Most nights I'm sitting here reading and laughing my butt off at the things some of these gals come out with. It's a great bunch!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCaterer

Sorry about that. Cubie is a term I coined that means you're stuck in a cubicle, usually crunching numbers, while your soul dissipates. It doesn't have to be numbers though. icon_wink.gif

Geez! I definitely understand this! I can sympathize with part of your initial post. I am stuck in a cubicle all day and I hate it. At one time, it worked for me. I actually didnt mind. However, over the years, I have changed. I'm not interested in being stuck at a desk all day. However, right now, it pays the bills. Uggh!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%