Buttercream Icing Not Too Sweet

Baking By helina21 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm by CookieO

helina21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helina21 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a buttercream icing that isn't too sweet. I have few complain about my buttercream icing being too. Is there such a thing. Can anyone help?

3 replies
MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 4

I haven't tried it, but I've been told that Swiss Meringue Buttercream is less sweet.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 4

I've seen suggestions to add a pinch of salt to cut the sweetness.

I've no idea if or how that works, but I dont' do it. My icing is made of sugar. It's sweet. Deal with it. When people ask "Can you make it less sweet?" my answer is a loud and firm "no." No explanation. No apology. Just a simple "No."

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 4

I use to get that from my husband all the time, "your icing is too sweet". After months of this & him aggravating me with what felt like I could never get it right...I told him (in a fed up I'll never bake you another sweet treat again tone)...scrape it off then! He quit complaining. Good thing too cause I got really tired of trying to find one that pleased HIM. Recipe trail & error had to stop at some point.

My point of this lil story is, if you have a recipe that works for you (it's smooth, no air bubbles, taste good, blah blah), don't let others comments make you change it. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%