Buttercream W/o Shortening Due To Allergies

Baking By Jannie92869 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm by brincess_b

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 10

I am trying to find a good buttercream recipe that does not contain shortening due to soy content. This is for a 3 year old little girl who has never had frosting(???) and for her birthday all she wants is a real cup cake!!

I would like to be able to pipe with this buttercream.

Thanks in advance

9 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 10

Can the little darling have butter? 100 per cent really real butter contains no veggies. Try the recipe section...there are hundreds of recipes.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 10

Hi, you can use butter instead of shortening. The ratio is 1:2 butter and powdered sugar and few drops of vanilla extract. icon_smile.gif

Jannie92869 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 10

All butter? So you are saying one stick of butter to 2 pounds of ps? I don't have any butter.....to look and see if it has soy. Mom says no soy.
Will it be firm enough to pipe a swirl on top of the cupcake?

Any suggestions will be appreciated...I really want to fill her request for her 1st real cupcake.

Thank you

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 10

Yes! all butter. That's what I make all the time. Sorry I don't know how many grams = one stick of butter. If you are using 250g of butter, add 500g of powdered sugar. You can pipe a swirl on top f the cake. icon_smile.gif

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 10

I recently made all-butter buttercream for the first time. I was creamier than with shortening, but it was still firm enough that you could definitely do a "real" cupcake.

Pure butter is just milk-fat and salt. http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/butter.html.

Jannie92869 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for that informaton.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 10

now I wonder why it is called "butter"cream.

long before there was vegetable shortening in all it's trans fat glory --

cooks only had what old Bossie would give (when she wasn't too busy jumping over the moon!)

milk and cream.

and cream well agitated makes butter.

for who knows how long - that is what buttercream was - butter and sugar.

----

hints:

salted butter vs unsalted -- salted will taste less sweet, unsalted sweeter (the salt fools the taste buds)

may not be a problem in UK, but in much of USA - butter and our WARM summer weather makes for a very soft icing -- it will hold shape at normal room temp, but... take it outside or put in sun and you get a very soft, even runny mess.

I like to flavor my buttercream. I add the liquids to the butter and beat them in until the butter is soft and fluffy. Flavors can be anything: vanilla, chocolate, lemon, chocolate, almond, CHOCOLATE (sorry, my addiction kicked in).

I also have taken to using whole milk, not water, as way to thin the BC, better richer taste. Tho' with all butter BC, it will be soft and won't need much thinning.

a hot spatula (heat in a glass of hot water, wipe of water drops) works well to smooth it.

if you, like I, have "hot" hands -- the BC will get very soft as you pipe it. SO, split the BC batch between several bags and keep the "ladies in waiting" in the fridge and switch bags as soon as you notice too much softening. I like to do this w/ 3 bags so each has enough time to firm up.

All butter BC makes a great filling for the cupcake too.

Can also work in jams, jellies, and real fruit to the BC to make different fillings.

Keeping it in fridge will assure it stays nice and firm while transporting.

----

Biggest warning -- go easy on the "quality control tasting" -- this stuff is definitely "moment lips -- forever hips!"

Jannie92869 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 10

Doug, thanks for that information."Butter" cream....I've strayed so much from the butter....I didn't even think of the butter! For I too, use various flavors to get the taste that I want including a butter flavor.

Thanks for the reminder.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 10

you can use butter rather than shortening in your usual recipe. you might just need to play around with the measure of icing sugar due to the different water content.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%