Cake Boss Buttercream

Baking By bostonterrierlady Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm by astokes2

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #1 of 26

I just use buttercream. I am a hobby cake decorator. I would love to know what recipe they use. It looks so good and so smooth and so soft.

25 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 26

Here ya go!

My Buttercream

thumbs_up.gif

bostonterrierlady Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 26

Thanks. Do you use hi ratio?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 26

I think she means the recipe from the TV show, Cake Boss, with Buddy Valastro?????????????

You can find a cake recipe and one of Buddy's buttercream recipes here:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_food_blog/2009/05/break-out-the-cupcakes-tlcs-cake-boss-premieres-may-25.html

Rae

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #5 of 26

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7617125
this is the recipe he gave on Tv .It looks like generic wilton recipe.

bostonterrierlady Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:44am
post #6 of 26

Thanks everyone.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #7 of 26

When I was watching Cake Boss tonight, I saw them open a big 5 gallon container of chocolate frosting...it looked just like the containers they use/sell in the bakery at Sam's Club. I suspect they use premade that they buy from a supplier. Maybe I am wrong...but that is really what it looked like.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 26

A while back some of us were having a conversation with Buddy on a thread here. He told us that everything at his bakery is made from scratch, a lot of the recipes were brought over from Italy with his late father.

I'm pretty sure that any recipe he posts, is generic and not necessarily one that he actually uses.

As far as the pails go. If I have a lot of orders coming up, I'll mix 25 to 35 lbs of butter cream and store it in 5 gallon buckets, just to be ahead of the game.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 26

Rae - I love the link you posted! Those beach cupcakes are just TOO CUTE!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

As far as the pails go. If I have a lot of orders coming up, I'll mix 25 to 35 lbs of butter cream and store it in 5 gallon buckets, just to be ahead of the game.

I do the same thing... I don't have time to mix up individual batches of buttercream for each other. I make my buttercream in big batches and store them in big pails (the same type of pails that the pre-made stuff comes in, although I'd never use that stuff).

cylstrial Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:

I do the same thing... I don't have time to mix up individual batches of buttercream for each other. I make my buttercream in big batches and store them in big pails (the same type of pails that the pre-made stuff comes in, although I'd never use that stuff).

That's a good idea! I never really thought of doing that! icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, it really is a time-saver. I have every Monday off from my "real" career so I spend some time in the kitchen making all my fillings, icing, and fondant for the week. It's nice to have everything ready to use when it's time to assemble/decorate.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, it really is a time-saver. I have every Monday off from my "real" career so I spend some time in the kitchen making all my fillings, icing, and fondant for the week. It's nice to have everything ready to use when it's time to assemble/decorate.

Dkelly,

Do you have a specific buttercream that you use? Do you refrigerate it?? I use crusting buttercream all the time...would that be okay to make big batches of and if so what is the shelf life on it?? Sorry so many questions!!

Deb_ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #14 of 26

The recipe I use is a combination of hi-ratio and butter....(variation of serious_cakes recipe found here), yes, it's a crusting buttercream.

It's shelf stable (in MA, home bakers can't sell perishable items, so my recipes need to be approved by the HD). It's good for about 3 weeks, in a closed container, although I've never had any around for that long.

KKC, do you normally need to refrigerate the recipe you use?

KKC Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #15 of 26
Quote:

The recipe I use is a combination of hi-ratio and butter....(variation of serious_cakes recipe found here), yes, it's a crusting buttercream.

It's shelf stable (in MA, home bakers can't sell perishable items, so my recipes need to be approved by the HD). It's good for about 3 weeks, in a closed container, although I've never had any around for that long.

KKC, do you normally need to refrigerate the recipe you use?

Yes...but to be honest the buttercream doesn't even last long enough for me to put in the fridge because of the amount of cakes I do per week. Does anyone know where I can find a big pail of premade buttercream?

Deb_ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:41am
post #16 of 26

I've read here that some people buy 5lb buckets from either Sam's or BJ's, sorry I can't remember which.

I'm sure there are vendors on-line that sell it too, but I would imagine the shipping cost would be astronomical because of the weight.

cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #17 of 26

I too, have heard a lot of people buy their buttercream from Sam's.

I have heard that a lot of people find it so much easier and less time consuming to just go and buy it. I have also heard that it tastes good too.

KKC Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #18 of 26

I've read that on here also about the Sam's buttercream...I also have alot of customers who ask if my BC taste like Sam's or Publix. I like Sam's BC but its extremely sweet. If I eat a cake from Sam's I'd have to either eat one or the other and I'm not a frosting type of girl so I just eat the cake...the only frosting I get is from the first bite and thats about it.

KKC Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #19 of 26

I've read that on here also about the Sam's buttercream...I also have alot of customers who ask if my BC taste like Sam's or Publix. I like Sam's BC but its extremely sweet. If I eat a cake from Sam's I'd have to either eat one or the other and I'm not a frosting type of girl so I just eat the cake...the only frosting I get is from the first bite and thats about it.

cylstrial Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 11:21am
post #20 of 26

I found this link for you!
http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=4925

Although you can probably get the buttercream for cheaper at www.countrykitchensa.com (since they are the ones who manufacture it).

Anyway, hope this helps.

FarrahFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FarrahFace Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #21 of 26

I use to make my own but I went through so much of it, that I found it was alot easier to get it from Sam's.. I pay 32.00 for a huge bucket.. I don't really care for icing but my family loves it.. So I tried it on them (without them knowing) and no-one could tell the difference.. LOL so, that's what I buy.. It tastes good and it crusts.. Plus, you don't have to refrigerate it. icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #22 of 26

I just finished up a 25 lb/5 gal bucket of white But-R-Creme from Sam's. I did not like it at all. It was a little too loose for my preference. I had to add almond flavoring to make it taste like "mine." It crusted ok, and it was smooth, but other than that, I just did not care for it.

However, I also bought chocolate at the same time as the white. It's acceptable. I still have four 1/2 gallon containers of it in my freezer. I may buy it again when I need more.

CookieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieSue Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:28pm
post #23 of 26

I read over the recipe posted, and it does sound very generic. I watched a video on TLC of his massive mixer making buttercream that looked almost like meringue and was very light and fluffy looking as well.

I remember one of the "Cake Boss" shows where Buddy mentioned that their buttercream was the best because they added a secret ingredient...cream cheese. I didn't see that mentioned in the recipe they sent in. Hmmmm.... icon_confused.gif

Also, they mention that their cakes are "sponge" whenever they talk about them. Is that a true sponge cake or something else?

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:18am
post #24 of 26

I would love to use sponge cake in my cakes...any good recipes?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:32am
post #25 of 26

I just had a cake from Buddys and it was very good and his cake is really good....the first cake we had with the dark chocolate icing, I didnt care for but this one had a light chocolate filling and a butter cream on the out side, and it was real good. There canolis are stupendous

astokes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astokes2 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:51pm
post #26 of 26

Deb_, what is your recipe that is non-perishable, and do you get good reviews on how your bc tastes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%