Pricing

Decorating By Rethy Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm by cylstrial

Rethy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rethy Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 3

I made a cake for my grandson, that was a pirate ship. I haven't really been charging for my cakes because they have been mainly for my family.
I have a lady who saw the cake at the party and she wants one for her son. It cost approx. 50.00 to make the cake. She said let her know how much it is and she would pay it. I don't know what to tell her. I don't know how to price it. We live in a small community so I can't see putting a big price on it. It served approx. 50 people. It was also hand carved. Could someone give me an estimate on this cake. I tried to attach a copy of the cake but I couldn't get it to upload. There is a picture of it on my pictures. I would appreciate it very much for the help with this pricing.

2 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 3

It really depends on where you live and what custom bakeries in your area charge for similar work. I'm in Iowa, and for me sculpted cakes of any kind begin at $4.00 per serving for buttercream and go up from there. So, for your cake that served 50, I'd charge $200.00 minimum.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 3

First, here's the link to your pirate cake!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1420342

Second, your cake is awesome!! That took a long time to make! You really should charge $200 for that bad boy! Minimum of $150 (if you think $200 is too high). But really don't underprice yourself. How many hours did that take to make? Plus the $50 in ingredients. Plus the clean up and just the fact that other people can't make the cake that you are making.

If other people could do it, they wouldn't be asking you to make it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%