Would You Turn Someone In?

Business By fsinger84 Updated 11 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm by alvarezmom

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:00am
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraVB79

It's not because her kitchen is illegal that therefor there is an issue regarding food safety.
I think I'd rather have cake from an illegal clean kitchen than from a dirty legal kitchen (Kitchen nightmares anyone?).

Just my 2 cts of course.

You & me both! The only reason I would consider turning her in would be if I knew for a fact that she baked in filthy conditions - period. The rest is for her own conscience to deal with (if she is doing it in the knowledge that she shouldn't really be, of course!). Don't let the green-eyed goddess be the boss of you!

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:23am
post #32 of 44

I agree with the posters on Karma. What goes around comes around. If and when you get your business up, this could come back to BITE you. Frequent calls to the health inspector to drop by and check on you(annonomyous tip you were baking with dogs running around in your legal kitchen, etc.) When you act spitefully, it can come back on you. Even if you passed these drop in inspections, isn't your time better spent doing other things?

Open legally, make a kick A@@ product and the business will come to you.

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:28am
post #33 of 44

Just let it go. God will take care of it. God prefers you to be humble not to have jealousy. icon_smile.gif

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:41am
post #34 of 44

fsinger84, there will always be competition out there, no matter what the business. Competition is a good thing- it makes us all better at what we do! You should concentrate on building your business the right way, and not put your energy in trying to catch everyone that doesn't do it the legal way. I see that you are new to this site, there will be opinions on both sides for every subject, but remember that you have to live with your decision(if you turn her in). Who knows down the road what you might do wrong(on purpose or not), and would you want everyone hovering over you to make sure that you are legal in every way? If you are professional and have a good product, you won't have to worry about the other bakers out there. Your product will speak for itself and you will be successful. There are people put there that have the title of Health Inspector for a reason, and they will do what is necessary. Just my opinion of course... Good Luck with your endeavor. icon_rolleyes.gif

MissE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissE Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #35 of 44

I agree with those who say mind your own business and concentrate on your business. Be aware of what your competitors are doing but don't be consumed by it, cos it will distract you from what you need to do to make your business succeed. I personally wouldn't turn her in. You don't know what is going on in her life and you might actually invite bad things on yours if you decide to act on jealousy and envy.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:13pm
post #36 of 44

My answer is no. It's not my place to judge...and it isn't yours either. Unless they are poisoning people on purpose, or some other vile act, keep your nose out. We all started in the same place, and we all have faults.

Leave it to the Lord to take care of what is his, and I'll take care of what is mine......words to live by no matter who you are or how you believe.

Nough said....this topic has been talked to death..........moving on please.......

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:44pm
post #37 of 44

Ok, first of all if we think the topic is talked to death and we want everyone to move on then move on in the first place and don't give your opinion first before urging everyone to can theirs.

The reason this comes up often is because it is a common conundrum.

We had four cakers shut down here in Elvistown. Nobody was satisfied with it--there was no worthwhile feelings created.

The Health Department was pissed that they got poo in their eye.
The chicks that did it went out of business in short order.
The chicks that got shut down were of course not happy.
One was a widow who's been doing it for many years.
Everyone in town who knew was riled and indignant at the least.

They (the shutter downers) were, probably still are, persona non gratatas. (sic)

The chicks that did it turned in their own family member.
Family reunion much anyone?

Ugly ugly ugly.

Those are just the results in our area--not a scientific survey or anything.

I mean whistle blowing is a very important tool to use wisely and carefully for the good of others and yourself.

Whistle blowing cake decorators to me is childish and borders on bullying.
It would be bullying with 'the law' on your side but it's unnecessary and over reacting to me.

Yeah sure it's illegal so is going 16 mph in a 15 mph shoot me.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off that's just my poinion--especially having seen it done here. Not to mention having kept the law for all these years myself. I found out it could not be done legally way before cake message boards and I've not stepped out of those boundaries.

colleenant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenant Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:14pm
post #38 of 44

It is very difficult and expensive in any state to begin a cake decorating business at home, if you want to do what you love and make money at it, the state does not make it easy to do so. You have to have alot of money in the first place to start it. It's very difficult to make a living these days, so if someone is creative and wants to do what she has to do to get by, leave her alone.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm
post #39 of 44

But consider the never ending fate of most whistle blowers--they get slimed kinda permanently.

I mean bootleg cake just ain't up to my standard of how I'm gonna let my entire life be changed to save the world from. Awkward sentence but I think it's understandable.

Like whistle blow Bernie Madoff --yes
Like whistle blow toxic waste like Erin Brocovich--yes
Whistle blow bad baby formula--yes
Whistle blow government corruption--sure I guess geez there's so much where to start?? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Whistle blow the widow down the street for running a cake speakeasy? Really?

To me it hurts too much to do it over something as low on the totem pole as cakes. Cakes are important but not that important. Because it affects you the rest of your life.

Just my opinion.

sweetlifecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlifecake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:20pm
post #40 of 44

I'm a cake decorating instructor and if there's one thing I can tell you from that is this: Two people can sit down and prepare the exact same cake recipe and decorate it the exact same way and those cakes will still be totally different.

You can't focus on what she's doing down the street or even next door. I live in a VERY small town (Fort Mill, SC) and there are 3 bakeries all within walking distance of each other in our downtown/main street area and they all thrive because their products are all different. They all do wedding and special occasion cakes but none of them are hurting for business.

Your customers will still come to you for whatever style of decorating you're best at or whatever cake you have that rocks their tastebuds.

If you don't have that, then you won't succeed even if you were the ONLY game in town.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 6:58am
post #41 of 44

If I ever have a cake shop, I think I should name it "The Cake Speakeasy".

I would not turn her in, although I would probably complain about her to other people, eg on cake decorating websites.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 8:14am
post #42 of 44

Unless you are the type of person who would turn in the odd job man, the kids who make some spare $$ washing cars etc then I wouldn't turn her in, if you would then go ahead - at least you would be consistent and it wouldn't be done out of jealousy but principle. Personally i like to live and let live. None of us know why others do what they do. She may be doing it unknowingly out of ignorance, she may be doing it knowingly out of necessity - who knows? Focus on your own skills, business plan etc. and don't waste time being mad at her for not doing things by the book or for having the balls to take a chance and risk something you wouldn't or if it bothers you that much run the same risk she does and work from home - basically it boils down to what YOU want to do coz it's you that has to live with whatever choice you make and the consequences long after this thread is over. (If that sounds like a lecture I apologise - it's not meant to i just don't feel very articulate this morning icon_smile.gif )

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 9:06am
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger84

How would you react in this situation?

I couldn't care less, if she's doing it and advertising it, sooner or later she will be caught and that won't be on my concience!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #44 of 44

I'd say turn her in if your only concern is HEALTH safety, but reading your posts it is clear that you are more worried (mad) that she is doing what she has to do to get her name out there and she is selling the hell out of what she makes.

I think you have already made up your mind as far as turning her in and you want to make sure other ppl feel the same as you. JMO

Like I said if the only thing you are truely worried about is some one getting sick because she bakes in filthy conditions then turn her in..however the HD may already have her in their radar.

When we act out of spite, envy, or what ever bad behavior we always get ours in the end. Just becareful and think this one through when your not so mad. Dont worry about her and what she is doing. Good things come to those who wait.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%