Blue Mmf Again And A Solution

Decorating By anamado Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm by jardot22

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone!
Today I want to share with you once again about my troubles with blue MMF icon_sad.gif
I just don't seem to be able to do it... What surprises me most is that I never found anyone with the same problem (I have posted this issue once) . I have already tried 3 different brands of colors, and the result is always the same: it tears everywhere.
So I want to share with you what I came out with to solve this problem icon_biggrin.gif
I mend it with RI sea foam icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif You can count all the tears to see how bad it was icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Well, not so many, I had to ad more to give an equilibrated look.

Mermaid and fishes are made of pastillage.
Then I also added some flying fish around.
The finish looks is in my photo's page.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1423089

Has anyone experienced the same problem dyeing blue mmf?

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 8

That was a great solution you came up with for it icon_biggrin.gif

Have you tried adding the color to the melted marshmallows before you add the powdered sugar?

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 8

Looks great! Love the sea foam! Great save! icon_biggrin.gif

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:57am
post #4 of 8

i agreee with texas rose, if i know i have to make one batch as one colour, i just add the colour to the melted mm's hth

anamado Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 8

Well, I did do the batches blue from scratch. I melted the marshmallows with the water, added the color and only then the sugar.
I don't know why, but it gets always the same way...
The same thing happens to black and red, but that I have seen a lot of people complaining. Never blue, though...

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 8

I feel your pain - I have had this same problem, and not just with blue, black and red. It happens with any dark color I attempt to make. The more color I add, the drier and more likely to tear the fondant gets. It gets worse as it rests too, so I always try to color it right before I use it. It has happened with both recipes I make (MMF and MFF), but it is usually worse with MMF. When it happens, I add glycerin and shortening until the consistency is workable, but it is definitely a problem for me as well. Lighter colors are fine, but those dark ones give me headaches and stress me out!

anamado Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardot22

I feel your pain - I have had this same problem, and not just with blue, black and red. It happens with any dark color I attempt to make. The more color I add, the drier and more likely to tear the fondant gets. It gets worse as it rests too, so I always try to color it right before I use it. It has happened with both recipes I make (MMF and MFF), but it is usually worse with MMF. When it happens, I add glycerin and shortening until the consistency is workable, but it is definitely a problem for me as well. Lighter colors are fine, but those dark ones give me headaches and stress me out!

Thank you VERY much for your explanation. It really makes sense.
Greetings from Portugal

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 8

No problem! I just wish I could figure out what other people are doing that I'm not to make those dark colors end up a nice consistency! LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%