Tiger Fondant

Decorating By rfielhau Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm by rfielhau

rfielhau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfielhau Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 9

How do I make white & black fondant look like a tiger? I see lots of pictures of those cakes on CakeCentral, but I'm not sure how to do it. Please help. This is for this coming Friday!

8 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 9

When I think of a white tiger, I think of a zebra. Does it have a similar look because I haven't seen a white tiger cake? When tiger comes to mind, I picture stripes with some different shades of grays along with the black.

rfielhau Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 9

yes, YOU ARE CORRECT. i GUESS i'M THINKING ZEBRA, BUT THE STRIPES ARE NOT STRAIGHT; THEY'RE CURVY AND MAYBE 2-3 INCHES.

HPChick33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HPChick33 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 9

I just made a zebra print cake for a bachlorette party this past weekend, and I tried a few different methods. I really didn't want to just stick the stripes on because I wanted it to look like it was part of the white fondant. Anywho, I tried laying the stripes on the white fondant and using my roller to press them into the white....and that didn't really work icon_sad.gif . I saw that techniques used somewhere, but I can't recall now. They did it on a much smaller piece....I was trying to cover a 9" cake. I don't know what I was thinking.

So I went to Michaels in search of something to use to cut the stripes, and I ended up buying a clay cutter for $4.99. It's a small instrument (about 6 inches long, and half an inch tall) with a very sharp edge. It is also bedable, so you can cut round corners or staright edges. So I just rolled out a very thin sheet of black fondant, and started cutting at different widths/angles. When I put the stripes onto the white fondant, I tried to curl them a bit so that it wouldn't look so rigid. Everyone at the party loved the cake, I think I could've done a little better.

You can see it under my photos. Just be careful when sticking black fondant onto the white because one mistake will leave you with a nasty, black, cloudy stain.

Best of luck!

w7-13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
w7-13 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 9

interesting

Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:12am
post #6 of 9

Well, you can cut out black fondant strips randomly with your pizza cutter (with your desired shapes) and just place it onto your white fondanted cake.

rfielhau Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #7 of 9

I GUESS THAT'S THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT. i WAS HOPING FOR SOMETHING THAT WOULD MAKE THE STRIPES LOOK MORE 'INTEGRATED' INTO THE SKIN (FONDANT) icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:44am
post #8 of 9

Hmm, to do so, you can cut the strips of black fondant, and you basically lay it on top of a white flattened fondant and then roll it. Not sure if I am making any sense but can you picture it?

rfielhau Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 9

I WILL CERTAINLY EXPERIMENT WITH BOTH METHODS. THANKS EVERYONE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%