Decorating Suggestions

Decorating By sheenaevans Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm by vickymacd

sheenaevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheenaevans Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 9

I'm decorating a cake for my boyfriend's sister, and I'd like to do it in the shape of a book, because she just recently wrote a book.
I'm going to wrap fondant around it for the cover (think that's a good idea?)

But I'm not sure how to do the cover. I want it to look like this http://www.lulu.com/content/2587791
But I don't really know how! I was thinking of doing a buttercream transfer, and just doing the colors, no detail (ex: the trees and grass, etc) just the pink fading into the purple.

Any suggestions please!
Thanks!

8 replies
divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 9

I would suggest painting a wash on the fondant of purple and pink. Mix some clear vanilla with your gel or powder decorating colors and paint them on with a brush. There are many tutorials online.

I hope that helps. I am new to decorating, too ... so someone may have better advice. But, that's what I would do.

Good luck!

sheenaevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheenaevans Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 9

that sounds like a good idea!
Will the color run through the MMF fondant though?

divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 9

Just don't make it sopping wet. The alcohol in the extract will let the color flow easily and will dry quicker than water.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:08am
post #5 of 9

You can also mix the food colors with vodka. It will not seep throught he fondant. It is a lot like painting with watercolors.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9

Oh, and wrapping the cake with fondant like a book cover is a good idea icon_smile.gif That is how I did the book in my photos. It worked great.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:39am
post #7 of 9

What a beautiful book cover! I would do the same as the others have said; paint right on the fondant. I use Americolor airbrush colors because I find them easier to paint with.

Also, here is a link to a thread about book cakes:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628199.html

Hope that link works...first time I've tried that!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 9

alanaj~thank you for posting that site. I must have missed that one!
Yes, I agree with everyone else on the technique. Just be careful with the vodka. If it goes outside of the area you want I can see a slight 'stain' from my experience with it. But the alcohol dries fast which is why it is recommended. Good luck.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 9

alanaj~thank you for posting that site. I must have missed that one!
Yes, I agree with everyone else on the technique. Just be careful with the vodka. If it goes outside of the area you want I can see a slight 'stain' from my experience with it. But the alcohol dries fast which is why it is recommended. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%