Making My First Cake... Please Help =(

Decorating By jennybean7985 Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm by MrsMabe

jennybean7985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennybean7985 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 2

first off i am 100% addicted to this site icon_biggrin.gif ok so my boyfriends 22nd birthday is august 11th and he knows if i could have my dream job id be a wedding cake/ specialty cake decorator so he said "ok fine u want to be a cake decorator then make me a fondant fishing themed cake for my bday.. ill be ur first cake so even if its terrible looking it wont matter" haha

i have a bunch of recipes from this fantabulous site and i think i am going to do a checkerboard cake with a giant bass on top and using rolled fondant im going to use letter cutters to write "Happy Birthday Bobby" on it

i have a few questions...

1) how would i go about making a bass out of modeling chocolate? should i use white chocolate and then paint it?

2) i was thinking of using white marshmellow fondant and then using brown modeling chocolate to make a plaque and placing the bass on the plaque... does that sound too cluttered?

3) what filling should i use? its a checkerboard cake with white and chocolate cake in it... maybe a fudgy filling?

again this is my first cake so any advice or hints in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

thanks SO much =)

1 reply
MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 2

I think putting it on a plaque sounds really cute. If you use white fondant and paint it, you can get a more natural variation in shades on the scales. Personally, I think the easiest way would be to mold him out of fondant. Then use the edge of a round cookie cutter to makes scale impressions in it and the dull edge of a knife to make the lines on the fins. Then paint it.

As for filling, I have fallen absolutely in love with chocolate ganache. I highly recommend it!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%