Last Night On Amazing Wedding Cakes....

Lounge By rgj123 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 5:44am by cupcakeco

rgj123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgj123 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 14

Did anyone see the Chandelier wedding cake Laurie made? Wasn't that very similar to the idea Jackie had for her wedding cake?

13 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 14

I don't know, but I just wanted to say that I thought it was gorgeous!! I especially loved the "glass" flowers tumbling down the sides. And, I think the bakery owner is such a wonderful boss. She's almost more like a mentor to her staff -- very calm and patient, instructive, encouraging, etc. She's terrific!!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 14

I was so sad that I missed the first half of the episode I love watching her work and she is fabulous with her staff! What an experience to have when you're learning! The cake with blown sugar was very similar to what was discussed here! It was exciting to see!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 14

I missed the first few minutes, but that had to have been the chandelier. I recognized the pieces as I made a couple of them for J & H's wedding.

.....They did a fantastic job translating it into a cake. Her surgarwork is beautiful.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 14

I missed the first few minutes, but that had to have been the chandelier. I recognized the pieces as I made a couple of them for J & H's wedding.

.....They did a fantastic job translating it into a cake. Her surgarwork is beautiful.

rgj123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgj123 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 14

She is very patient. She didn't flip out or show any irritation when one of her assistants accidentally bumped some of the sugar pieces and broke them. Even though they weren't sure they'd finish in time for the bridal show she just calmly fixed the top and they finished.

I loved the cascading flowers too.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 14

The first thing I thought of watching this, I hope to god she wears sleeves when she bakes/decorates cake for sale to public. It is a HD rule that you cannot go sleeveless while doing food prep....forgive me, but I shudder thinking about bare arm pits around food...JMHO.

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 14

I can think of a few dozen other germ/unsanitary food prep concerns right off the top of my head. A bare armed baker wasn't one of them...until now. (I honestly never knew that tidbit of chef clothing info.)

wonder why the HD doesn't require a full face shield then?

SURE thing HD...breathing germs on food (and no hair net), as long as the hairy arms are covered is perfectly reasonable to me. lol.

Or how about a full surgical hand scrub before putting on those food prep gloves? Sure thing HD...that thin latex barrier between germs under finger nails & that fondant is absolutely reassuring at all levels of my anal sanitary concerns.

Or restaurant chefs wiping sweat from their forehead with a towel and the hand that touched that sweaty towel goes right on to chopping my food without missing a beat. OH yes....

but the covered arms...oh yes....I feel sooooo much better knowing that a long (cotton fabric) sleeve will protect me from many nasty unsanitary germy food consumption risks.

Atta boys! lol

{{not saying I disagree with it at all...I just find it a bit ummm....oh I don't know...over looking other evil potentials out there. JMO. I'm in a rare mood today...one that I should probably keep my mouth shut during. But I couldn't resist a dig at the ever so watchful HD...that shuns many valid very clean home bakers in many states. Makes no sense to me,

but then I dont spend all day ev day thinking about it either. Just give me the cake & let me eat! I've probably ate worse (at some point in life) than a cake baked by someone that didnt have on long sleeves. lol.

Does Duff always wear long sleeves on his show while decorating a cake. Does his crew wear hair nets on most of their uncombed untamed locks of hair? No. Would I eat Duffs cakes...probably so without a thought about it. Just sayin' }}

back to the OP, I didn't see the episode. It sounds lovely though! Wish I had seen it. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 14

I think that was the idea that Jackie wanted for her cake but she ended up with something totally different. There was a thread on here by the girl who made their cake......she posted pictures the day after the wedding. I'll try to find it in my posts and if I do I'll post a link to it.

BTW.....LOVE LOVE Laurie and her work. I'd love to spend 1 month just shadowing her.............

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 14

I thought the same thing as soon as I saw it. I gotta tell you, though. I really didn't love the cake. I mean, it was beautiful, but not my cup of tea. My favorite is the guy and girl that did the silent movie cake. They impress me every single time!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 14

Here's a link to the thread about J and H wedding cake. They deleted the photos from the thread but if you click on "leannewinslow's" photos, she's the one that made their cake, you'll see 2 pictures of it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=638382&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:02am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindseye

absolutely reassuring at all levels of my anal sanitary concerns.

sorry for picking on you, but that has to be the funniest choice of words...re-read your words...i'm dying over here!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:20am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindseye

absolutely reassuring at all levels of my anal sanitary concerns.

sorry for picking on you, but that has to be the funniest choice of words...re-read your words...i'm dying over here!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

oh my, that does sound bad. LOL.
I meant that I am sometimes OCD (anal) about sanitary cooking practices. icon_wink.gif

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:44am
post #14 of 14

You know something? Laurie kind of bothers me. I find her tattooed self and the name of her shop "Cake Alchemy" just a little too obvious. Just kind of cliche. For some reason that I'll never be able to explain. icon_rolleyes.gif

I do agree though that her sugar work was beautiful. The cake design....eh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%