Golden & Silver Dust

Decorating By Athoora Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 2:03pm by minicuppie

Athoora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Athoora Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 8:33am
post #1 of 9

Hi All icon_smile.gif I would like to know how do u perfectly color the fondant and even the buttercream a perfect silver & gold? I need this for an ancient Greek theme , and I can't use alcohol not even a drop, I tried some light corn syrup and it looks sticky, and when I throw some in the buttercream it was a waste coz it didn't show at all! Help Pls! icon_confused.gif

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:05am
post #2 of 9

if you cant use alcohol, you are up a creek without a paddle! the alcohol does all evaporate, so there is no alcohol content in the cake. if it is the customers request, i would be telling them their chosen design will not look like it could, and having them sign that bit on the contract. (presumably as extract are alcohol, they are out too?)
you can use the dusts dry but wont get anything like the strength of colour you need.
you can use water, but it doesnt dry as well, and may mess up your icing too.
i think even the liquid colours you can buy are alcohol based.
not sure about airbrush colours though, and if they come in proper silver and gold, but that might be the best option to look into.
xx

Athoora Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:30am
post #3 of 9

O My God icon_sad.gif Thank u for the reply but now I really feel bad that alcohol is the one and only! hehe thanks anyway :>

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:10am
post #4 of 9

im just curious, but why the problem with alcohol? as i said, it does evaporate, so theres no risk there like for kids or anything.
xx

TinkerbelleSparkles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerbelleSparkles Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

Have you tried mixing it with a little vanilla essence/extract?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 9

The only thing I can think of right now is using airbrush colors.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 9

You can brush the dusts on with a dry paintbrush, on fondant or even on buttercream after the buttercream has dried. It will be more sparkly than it would if it were painted on.

Can you use an extract instead of alcohol? The extracts have alcohol in them but most people don't worry about the alcohol, and it does evaporate...maybe saying, "I'm painting the gold on with clear vanilla" would sound better to the client than "I'm painting the gold on with vodka." Using an extract would probably be all right for someone who avoids alcohol as a recovering alcoholic, but if they're avoiding alcohol because they're Muslim, then they would not want you to use extracts.

RylanTy is right, the airbrush colors don't have alcohol and you can paint with them. I've used Americolor's pearl and silver and they come out very nice, just painted on with a paintbrush. They take longer to dry than luster dust and alcohol though.

Athoora Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:13am
post #8 of 9

Thank u all ladies! I'll try brushing them directly hope it's better than nothing icon_smile.gif

I don't have the airbrush thing but it seems that I need one!

For the curious brincess icon_wink.gif

I'm moslim and i Live in on of the 2 moslim countries in the world where alcohol is not allowed at all, u can't find it in the store here!
anyway we r the friendly type of moslims icon_wink.gif I'm in Kuwait and here we love every thing American icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 9

I mix the dust in the RI. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%