Just Some Old Cake Decorating Books...

Decorating By woodruffbn Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 10:29pm by auntiecake

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:43am
post #31 of 48

I have a yearbook from '68 or '69...... I cannot find the date on it, but it has a book for sale in it "The Pictorial Encyclopedia of Modern Cake Decorating". That one I know was from 1969, because I have it..The book sold for a Whopping $7.50 ! That was a LOT of money then ! An ENTIRE set of round pans, from 6" to 18" sold for $ 18.95 icon_lol.gif You would be hard pressed to buy ONE of the larger pans for that today...... One thing I wish they still had is a set of NESTING cake dummies..... talk about space saving ! The round cardboard cake circles sold for ......6" round, .50 per DOZEN......8" round, .70 per DOZEN...... 12" round, .10 @....... 16" round, $1.10 for 6 of them....... I just paid that amount for ONE of them the other day...... SIGHHHH....

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:19pm
post #32 of 48

I live right near the Wilton store. I was in there a few weeks ago and asked a question about something. The girl reached under the counter and pulled out several old yearbooks to search for the answer. She told me that she has EVERY yearbook ever made under there!!!! Honestly, just for a split second, I envisioned myself dressed in black, breaking in there at night to get my hands on those books . . . really, it was just for a second icon_wink.gif .

I'm with all of the buttercream queens who responded -- those are the cakes I dream of someday being able to make!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

..... I envisioned myself dressed in black, breaking in there at night to get my hands on those books . . . really, it was just for a second icon_wink.gif .

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Cake Ninja! icon_lol.gif

bertie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bertie Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #34 of 48

Give me to older books anytime.I love buttercream frosting ideas.The newer ones are not my style.I don't like fondant at all.I will not frost a cake with it at all.Between my sister and I we have all the wilton books almost.We both love going through them.Just a old fashion cake decorater.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:38pm
post #35 of 48

grama_j
Your copy of "The Pictorial Encyclopedia of Modern Cake Decorating" must be a 4th or 5th printing. I have the sequel to it "Wilton's Wonderland of Cake Decorating" and the 3rd edition was published in 1966. So yours must have been late 1950s or early 1960s.

grama_j Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #36 of 48

Oh, WOW! Thank you 7YRT ! My daughter found it at a garage sale about 5 years ago and just picked it up for me...... .50 if I recall correctly what she said......Just love that kid ! icon_lol.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #37 of 48

I have both the Encyclopedia and the Wonderland book!

7yyrt Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm
post #38 of 48

grama_j Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:54pm
post #39 of 48

YIKES ! icon_surprised.gif That is one MEAN looking monkey, but what is it supposed to represent ?

7yyrt Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #40 of 48

Jealousy !

LOL

grama_j Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm
post #41 of 48

SNICKER........

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:34am
post #42 of 48

I have almost all the yearbooks, encyclopedias, and the other hardbound books they put out for a while. Some of them are looking pretty worn. I couldn't count how many times I have looked thru those books. Fondant is fun and something, but the world of buttercream has it's own place, although they do work well together. I tell my beginning students that if they learn how to frost a cake and do the basics ( and not even all of them) they can do a fondant cake. It is more sculpting and clay techniques than frosting. They almost need to be in separate catorgories. I enjoy them both, but still learning a lot about fondant. There is so much more available now than when I started in the 60's that it is hard to know what direction to go. Does anyone else feel that way. Sorry for the on and on..........

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:47pm
post #43 of 48

Do fondant cakes remind anyone else of scrapbooking?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCathcart

Do fondant cakes remind anyone else of scrapbooking?

Um...... no.

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:58pm
post #45 of 48

I think it's the cut-outs.

auntiecake Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:50am
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCathcart

I think it's the cut-outs.

I can see where you are coming from with that!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #47 of 48

I might purchase some of wilton oldies. Too interesting not to

auntiecake Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:29pm
post #48 of 48

There are some pretty good ideas. Cakes were so much simpler then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%