Tight Timeline...need Advice.

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 7:31am by Rylan

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:05am
post #1 of 8

I am making a cake for my bosses b-day. Originally I was told the party would be on Friday of next week. I baked the cakes yesterday with the intention of freezing them to pull out next week. Now the timeline has been moved up and the party is on Tuesday. I am going to be out of town all day Sunday and have to work all day Mon which leaves me tomorrow and Monday night. Since I estimate at least 10-12 hrs (usually takes more than I est too) I cannot leave it all for Monday. Do you think I will be ok carving/stacking/filling/icing and covering with fondant on Sat? I could do the details Monday. Would you put it in the fridge? I have read not to refrigerate fondant (I am using Rhonda's Ultimate MMF). I am planning a pretty spectacular cake so I don't want it to taste bad! The cakes are currently chilling in the fridge.

Your wisdom is appreciated

Jennifer

7 replies
luv2cook721 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:43am
post #2 of 8

BTW the cake is WASC. Filling is undetermined but will likely either be buttercream or fudge.

customcakesbymo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcakesbymo Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:07am
post #3 of 8

I always refrigerate that fondant and it works out great. I've even frozen it on a cake. It tends to sweat after being frozen but not after being refrigerated. If you get the cakes iced and covered with fondant they should be fine. Fondant is a great flavor and moisture sealer.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 8:13am
post #4 of 8

I personally wouldn't stack it on Saturday and then have it served on Tuesday. It is just me though--I know a few people who decorate for more than 4 days but not if the cakes still taste fresh.

I've refrigerated Satin Ice fondant with no problems.

luv2cook721 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I personally wouldn't stack it on Saturday and then have it served on Tuesday. It is just me though--I know a few people who decorate for more than 4 days but not if the cakes still taste fresh.

I've refrigerated fondant with no problems.

unfortunately I don't have a choice here. Normally I wouldn't either, but things were changed on me I can't see what else to do. Do you have a different suggestion?

Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 8

If you really have no choice then Saturday is the way to go. You may also consider freezing but I can't tell you much about it since I don't really have experience freezing filled/fondant cakes. Maybe Saturday would work, I don't think the cake will taste bad.

luv2cook721 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:52am
post #7 of 8

Just wanted to check back in. It worked out fine to do the cake Sat. and serve today. The cake tasted great and wasn't dried out.

Rylan Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:31am
post #8 of 8

Good news for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%