Intimidated By The Sport Ball Pan

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm by pipsqueak

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 3

I know it sounds silly. I keep having images of a perfectly iced soccer ball rolling around all over the place. I'm going to make it for a baby's smash cake next week, but I want HIM to be the one to smash it, not me, driving it around town icon_wink.gif

Also, how should I ice it? I know if I screw up on the bottom, I can always put some grass up to hide it. BUT - since I'm just starting out I'm trying to push myself so I don't make mistakes in the first place.

This probably seems like a silly thing, but I've never tried it before. I'm sure once I conquer it, I'll be terrified of the next thing I try icon_wink.gif

TIA!

2 replies
TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 3

They are not as hard as they seem. Just remember to slice the bottom of the ball so that you have a flat surface. It will stop it from rolling. I always have one issue with the ball cakes though. They are never round enough so I always end up baking a 9" round and place it in the middle of the two halves. Just remember this and plan ahead if you think your ball will not be round enough. Check out my pics for a soccer ball cake I made for a wedding I was in last month. It was for the groom at the rehersal dinner.

pipsqueak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipsqueak Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 3

If you're talikng about the sport ball pan, which is not the same as the soccer ball pan, then you should get a perfectly round ball. To keep it from rolling around I would slice the bottom off to make flat surface like TheBlonde suggested.

I don't know if this will work but maybe you could put your ball upside down in a bowl or something to keep it from rolling aroud while you decorate, decorate the bottom portion, put your cake board on top of it and flip the whole thing over together. Then, decorate the top part of the ball.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%