Does This Look Like A Hibiscus To You?

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 12:07am by erinalicia

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 9

My neice is having a hannah montana luau birthday party and I wanted to try and make some hibiscus flowers for her cake. I don't have the money for new cutter or veiners so I was trying my best to do it by looking at a picture of a real one. Please tell me if you think it will pass as one.

Sorry it wouldn't let me attach the picture directly. So here is the link. Thanks so much for any help you can give to get it looking like one.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1420614.html

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 9

Yup..they look pretty good to me..Better than I can make..I hear you about the cutters..I am always trying to use what I have so I don't have to buy more...Now you just need to color them!! Great Job!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 9

To be honest, no. The stamens look like the stamens for a calla lilly. A hibiscus stamen is real thin & has little "hairs" at the tip. I think your getting the texture of the petals similiar, but they're too round & too close. I would think getting the texture is the hard part to do if you don't have a cutter, but you got that, so thats real good. Do you think the kids will be able to tell?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 9

I think it looks good. I've made hibiscus before using the Wilton 5 petal rose cutter (the larger one) and drying them in an egg tray, then adding a long skinny stamen with a sun-shape (made with a scrapbook punch that only cost a dollar) and then a small ball of the original stamen color on top of the sun shape. It's been a year and my brain is a little fuzzy today, but I think I veined the petals with a corn husk (not a corn husk veiner, a tamale wrapper kind of corn husk).

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 9

Sorry forgot to mention I had not placed the little stamenas in the end yet as I didn't want to waste them until I got it some what close. Thanks for all your opinions.

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 9

honestly, no - I don't think it looks like a hibiscus.

the stamen is way too thick - like the above poster said, it looks more like the centre of a calla lilly. Hibiscus have a long thin stamen with a pronounced head.

I think the petals are too small too...although with a thinner stamen they would look better proportioned.

CanadianChick Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 9

the stamen is way too thick - like the above poster said, it looks more like the centre of a calla lilly. Hibiscus have a long thin stamen with a pronounced head.

I think the petals are too small too...although with a thinner stamen they would look better proportioned.

CanadianChick Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 9

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:07am
post #9 of 9

try looking through google at images of hibiscus flowers. There are some really good ones out there. This one gives you some good detail http://www.wondersoftea.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hibiscus.jpg

The petals flare back more like the bell on a trumpet. If you figure out how to make the stamen, I'd love to know how. Hibiscus are my favorite tropical flowers. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%