Marshmallow Fondant Not Drying - Please Help!

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm by hilly

Cake-Girl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Girl1968 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 3

My friend and I are working on a NYC - Broadway cake. We cut out a whole sky line with marshmallow fondant and painted it. It's been laying on top of a shelf for over a week, maybe even two weeks and it's still really flexible. Is there anything I can do at this point? The party isn't until August 9th, we just started early. Also, any advice on how to prevent this in the future is welcome.

2 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 3

Hi there cakegirl and welcome to CC! I think you will need to start over since you already painted your pieces. You can use MMF fondant for what you want in two ways:

1. cut your pieces out and attach to cake while still fresh (you can't work ahead of time). Then paint.

2. You can add tylose powder or gumtex (wilton) to your fondant to help your fondant dry quicker and harder.

When you paint your cut outs make sure they are dry and don't use water. Use food coloring diluted in a little vodka to make a paint. This will help your "paint dry faster".

Hope this helps

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 3

Ditto on the vodka vs. water thing but I also like to sit my pieces on cornstarch after I cut them, it seems to suck some of the moisture out. Also, are you using fondant with shortening in it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%