Sheet Cake Servings

Decorating By tadawade Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 1:45am by indydebi

tadawade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tadawade Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:55am
post #1 of 6

I know this subject comes up alot but I need to ask anyhow. I have been asked to do a small wedding cake and then to have a sheet cake in the back to cut down on cost. How many servings will you get out of a sheet cake if it is cut for wedding servings. The guide that I have says about 70 servings but I think that is for party size servings. Does anyone have a clue?

5 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 6

1x2x4 inch serving is a wedding cake serving. A quarter sheet cake (8x12 inches) can yield 24 wedding cake servings at 8 cubic inches of cake, basically cut the cake lengthwise in half then every inch horizontally. Multiply this by 2 for a half sheet and by 4 for a full sheet. Charge your same amount as you would for a basic decorated wedding cake.

Many time the main cake will be very elaborate with fondant and I charge $5 to $11 per serving but with my matrix a basic wedding cake in BC only costs $2 to $3.75 per serving depending on how many servings they are ordering. I do give a quantity discount.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 6

The good news with sheet cakes is you can do the math to figure the number of servings.

Single layer cakes (2" tall) are normally cut in 2x2x2 pieces (8 cubic inches). So an 11x15 would be cut into approximately 5 rows by 7 columns = 35 pieces.

Double layer cakes (4" tall) are normally cut in 1x2x4 pieces (8 cubic inches). So the 11x15 double layer cake would be cut in approximately 10 rows (1" wide) by 7 columns (2" wide) = 70 pieces.

when you're looking at serving charts, be sure you understand if they are talking about a single layer or a double layer cake. To me, if you have a double layer rectangle cake, then it's no longer a "sheet" cake, ergo it's doesn't qualify for "sheet" cake pricing.

tadawade Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 6

cakesdevine and indydebbie thanks for answering my question about sheet cake servings it really helped. I would also like to ask another question my customer would like a 3 tier wedding to only serve about 70 people what size cakes would you use? not inlcuding the top tier.

tadawade Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:55am
post #5 of 6

cakesdevine and indydebie thanks for answering my question about sheet cake servings it really helped. I would also like to ask another question my customer would like a 3 tier wedding to only serve about 70 people what size cakes would you use? not inlcuding the top tier.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:45am
post #6 of 6

6/8/10 round serves 12/24/38 = 74 servings

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%