What's Your Best Leveling Technique

Decorating By poohthebear Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm by auntmamie

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:32am
post #1 of 9

I don't ever seem to be able to get my cakes level. I have tried cutting with the Wilton leveler and then by the time I ice, it's not level. So do you have a good way of leveling?

8 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:00am
post #2 of 9

I just eyeball it and still get level cakes.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:01am
post #3 of 9

smash it down with a cardboard cake circle as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 9

I took three foam cake boards, cut them so they are slightly smaller than the pan I'm baking in, glued them together and covered them in foil. After cake is baked and cool, I put my "dummy" in the pan, put the cake on top of it, and using the edges of the cake pan to rest my bread knife on, level my cake. Works super!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 9

I use my Agbay. Best leveling tool out there! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

I took three foam cake boards, cut them so they are slightly smaller than the pan I'm baking in, glued them together and covered them in foil. After cake is baked and cool, I put my "dummy" in the pan, put the cake on top of it, and using the edges of the cake pan to rest my bread knife on, level my cake. Works super!

This is the probably the best way I've encountered!

I used to use the wilton leveler (and I liked it just fine), but then tried the cardboard-in-the-pan thing, and loved that method. Over the years, I've gotten good at using a meat carving knife (those with the 14" blade used in cafeterias at the meat carving station) and free-lancing it. but it took quite some time to get good at free-lancing!

Try Shelle_75's technique. you'll like it!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 9

[quote="indydebi"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

Try Shelle_75's technique. you'll like it!

And I totally learned it on here, just can't remember the original poster, but props to them!! I am no good at eyeballing, and with this method, my cakes are level every time.

I'd still LOVE an AgBay someday, though.......(she sighs wistfully)

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 9

I do somthing similar to Unlimited, maybe that's where I originally go it, so thanks thumbs_up.gif .

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, I take a smaller cake round, put it on top, and set a can of veggies on it. I let it sit there for about 5 minutes, then I remove the cake from the pan. Viola, level cake.

I may have to give the other covered cake board trick a try too. icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 9

I put the cake on the turntable, put my hand holding the knife on the turntable, with the pinkie touching, and just turn. As long as the knife stays level and my hand doesn't leave the surface, I get a level cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%