When The Coworker "knows It All"

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 4:58am by just_for_fun

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 38

I delivered a baby shower cake to work on Wednesday. I had actually planned the luncheon, with two coworkers, and decided to make the cake. I'm "the" cake lady at work, so it was really a pleasure. Well, I definetly got my fill of "I told you" from one of the other planners.

I didn't make the right flavor cake (the mom likes lemon, the coworker doesn't. Too bad - guest of honor rules).

The frosting got a little soft and started sagging halfway through lunch. (not my choice to put it in front of a west facing window in July!)

The mobile wasn't the right scale to the baby (it's art - nothing is ever perfect, and i wasn't putting a huge baby on top of a cake).

I wasn't using the right knife to cut the cake (um, what's a cake server for then???)

I wasn't cutting the cake right (I use indydebi's method, and it worked)

The filling shouldn't have been pink, since no one knows if its a boy or a girl (what other color should raspberry filling be?)

The only "disaster" was that I used a meringue buttercream, and towards the end of lunch, one side of the cake fell off - there was a thin layer of fondant decorations, and they just got too heavy. Especially since the cake was infront of a window. I apologized to the mom, who just laughed it off, which is totally how she is. No problem at all.

I mean, this girl totally thought that I was incompetent. Anyone else have someone like this before?

37 replies
DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 38

Its called jealousy. She's probably one of those annoying overbearing people who always has to be right about everything, and the fact that you can do something she can't probably pisses her right off.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 38

NO, and if I did, they would be referred to as "that know it all who used to be looking at the green side of the grass". icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:47am
post #4 of 38

Hmmm, sounds kind of like my sister-in-law, who now falls under my new rule in life "they can get the business & get cussed out too"! Nobody is exempt or special anymore !

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Its called jealousy. She's probably one of those annoying overbearing people who always has to be right about everything, and the fact that you can do something she can't probably pisses her right off.

100% Agreed!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 38

I think everyone has a co-worker like this at one time or another. Hubby had a former co-worker who would do this kind of stuff every time he took a cake in. I think she made one cake once in her life and pretty much wanted everyone to know that SHE did cakes (once) TOO!

A very wise person told me once, "Debi, contrary to what you think, you are NOT the smartest person in the world. (What! Are you kidding me! icon_surprised.gif ) So if YOU see how he/she is, then so does everyone else."

KimmyO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyO Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 38

I didn't know you worked with my step mother-in-law. She know absolutely everything about everything. It is the most annoying thing in the world to spend any amount of time with her. icon_wink.gif

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 38

totally sounds like my grandma! i am not a professional but hubby and i decided to do our own wedding cake (the winter one under my pix) and my gmal was nit-picking at EVERYTHING!! of course she does this in every aspect of life but your story just reminded me of this situation. first off, she was freaking out and acting like i was just being unesccesarily wasteful for leveling the cake layers and throwing away the scraps. the worst part was the issue with the cake board. i was using a piece of plywood and covering it in wax paper with a ribbon border. she kept insisting that it HAD to have foil on it. i seriously told her no atleast 6 or 7 times then the next thing i know, she was over there covering the board in like 4 layers of pieced together foil. i very politely went behind her and took it off and she was P$%&ssed!!! lol icon_smile.gif ...she is just one of those controlling types. she also had the gall to tell my family behind my back that i didn't know anything about weddings and mine was going to be a completel flop because i wouldn't let her help. of course she was the expert since she helped plan my cousin's the year before. regardless of the fact that i actualyl worked with a wedding planner that whole summer. needless to say, my wedding actually turned out exactly how i wanted it and everyone was quite impressed if i do say so myself icon_smile.gif

sorry i totally got carried away with this one, haha icon_smile.gif...so yea, i know exactly how you fell! just ignore her, sounds to me like she would have found flaws even if there weren't any at all.

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 38

I think anyone who has worked in the public sector has had this at some point. I have a customer who is a friend who is sort of like that. I have made 3 cakes for her. The first a carrot cake that all her family loved, but she said it was a little dry (mind you she didn't even taste it). Second cake was a hit. Third was cupcakes and they were dry too, but they loved them. I knew going in to it though that I would never please her without the comments. Water off a ducks back to me because she talks about everyone......she also took cake classes in college and she knows how to do what I do, but doesn't have the time. Whatever!!!

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 38

Yes, we've all had them in our lives .... they believe that since they have the right to an opinion it equates to the right to voice it.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A very wise person told me once, "Debi, contrary to what you think, you are NOT the smartest person in the world. (What! Are you kidding me! icon_surprised.gif ) So if YOU see how he/she is, then so does everyone else."

icon_surprised.gif I'm shocked! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I think eveyr one has a person like that in their lives. Mine is my FIL. He swears he knows everything about the church, Jesus, and God just because he was an alter boy! He doesnt even attend church now!

ChefStef22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefStef22 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 38

Like one of the posters above said,it's all JEALOUSY of YOU and your SKILLS. While she's running that trap, I wonder if she could've pulled off the job any better? I absolutely despise people like this. And what put the icing on the cake was that the client didn't get perturbed with the outcome.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 38

I had a wicked witch do that to me once -- tore my whole cake apart verbally in front of a room full of people by talking loudly to her friend in front of me like I wasn't there. icon_confused.gif My response (just as loudly) "well dear you're always welcome to do it better yourself." icon_twisted.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 38
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better! Yes, i've met that type and they are also the type that no matter what you tell them, they already knew that! My question is "Why didn't you tell us, if you already knew it?" As long as she's complaining, you know your cakes are great! When she stops complaining, then something is wrong with your cake and she's satisfied.

kilikina_24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kilikina_24 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:12pm
post #15 of 38

Kind of made me think of Angela and the party planning committee on "The Office" Anyone know what I'm talking about?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 38

I'm sorry you had to deal with that, but I feel perfectly vindicated.

About 6 weeks ago, someone posted a similar thread. When I mentioned that the kibitzer was probably jealous, I got my head bitten off by most of the other responders.

Thank you for making me feel good about what I said.

And everyone else is right, the nag is jealous because she may have planned the party, but it seems you got all the attention.

Sucks to be her.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jjsgrl48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjsgrl48 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:37pm
post #17 of 38

"The Office" LOL. I agree it is jealousy. I have one of those types sitting in my office now right behind me. God bless our pea pickin hearts for having the strength to ignore them and move on. judge.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 9:00pm
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

And everyone else is right, the nag is jealous because she may have planned the party, but it seems you got all the attention.

Sucks to be her.

BINGO! thumbs_up.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:17pm
post #19 of 38
Quote:

Say it again (you're right)!!! It is amazing how people can behave when they are battling the green-eyed beast. I'm surprised she didn't try to sabotage the cake or event in some way.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:30pm
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Quote:

Say it again (you're right)!!! It is amazing how people can behave when they are battling the green-eyed beast. I'm surprised she didn't try to sabotage the cake or event in some way.

I'd agree that it's either jealousy or she's so insecure about herself the only way she can feel better is by tearing others down or telling them how they're doing things wrong all the time. She has a problem and it sounds like whatever you would have done she'd still find something to complain about.

Lita829 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:54pm
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:

Quote:

I'd agree that it's either jealousy or she's so insecure about herself the only way she can feel better is by tearing others down or telling them how they're doing things wrong all the time. She has a problem and it sounds like whatever you would have done she'd still find something to complain about.

So true. Its a shame that some people have to pull others down in order to elevate themselves. For many....envy is easier than admiration. Wouldn't it be easier and make more sense for people to concentrate on enhancing their God-given strengths and talents rather than coveting someone else's. I believe in the the law of abundance....there is enough of the good that life has to offer for everyone.

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:44am
post #22 of 38
Quote:

I'm surprised she didn't try to sabotage the cake or event in some way.

Maybe she did. Some frosting did fall off towards the end, after all. icon_wink.gif

I think your co-worker would get along quite nicely with about half of my extended family. They all miraculously know how to do cakes without having ever made a single one and can point out my mistakes in .02 seconds. I even once said, "You think you could do better?" and the reply: "I could!" (Have yet to see the proof, though). Some people!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #23 of 38

I have a friend sort of like that. Once a group of us were at her house and my cakes came up... Her husband was saying it takes real talent to make those cakes. She told him in front of everyone... " it's nothing hard! There's no big deal about it, I got my girls scout badge for cake decorating. It's not hard." I didn't say anything, but about two months ago, a group of us were at her house again, and she had made cupcakes. I got the shock of my life when she asked me to show her how to make swirls on the cupcakes! I thought, "hmm... If it's so easy, why would she need me to teach her something as simple as a swirl?" well I showed her how to do it and they looked like a child had made them! So much for it bring so "easy"!

Lita829 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

I have a friend sort of like that. Once a group of us were at her house and my cakes came up... Her husband was saying it takes real talent to make those cakes. She told him in front of everyone... " it's nothing hard! There's no big deal about it, I got my girls scout badge for cake decorating. It's not hard." I didn't say anything, but about two months ago, a group of us were at her house again, and she had made cupcakes. I got the shock of my life when she asked me to show her how to make swirls on the cupcakes! I thought, "hmm... If it's so easy, why would she need me to teach her something as simple as a swirl?" well I showed her how to do it and they looked like a child had made them! So much for it bring so "easy"!

LOL....I guess she was eating her words icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif On a serious note...the ego is like over-ripe fruit...it bruises very easily. It seems as though your friend's ego was bruised by your culinary gifts. I guess she was trying to deflect the attention you were getting from her man about your gifts. I know a lot about this sort of thing because I had to let ALL my female friends go because they were battling the green-eyed monster and were tearing my life apart piece-by-piece behind my back. Oh well....you live and you learn.

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:28am
post #25 of 38

The nerve of some people! I have a wonderful staff in my office, and not once has anyone ever tried to tell me they could do better... always asking when I'm bringing in more cake scraps! One the other hand, a few people in my own family will try to give "constructive critiscism"... yeah okay, its really called trying to be the center of attention... I guess your gonna get it no matter what you do, orhow good you are at any given task. There will always be someone who wants to steal the limelight.
My comeback to those who are just plain rude ?? "It must be nice to know it all!" icon_wink.gif

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 9:54am
post #26 of 38

Kill 'er with kindness, honey! You can get in a little Christian love, ask her opinion on something. DEFER to her in front of other people. Buy a pair of shoes just like hers and wear them and make sure everyone knows you saw them on her, loved loved loved them and just had to have some. The results will just stagger ya!

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:50pm
post #27 of 38

I know how you feel! Off topic of cakes -- I'm 11 weeks pregnant and if you've ever been pregnant or have kids you know that EVERYONE knows things better than you do. My mom has been driving me up a wall telling me that this won't work, and I shouldn't do this, and it's my decision but then she bad mouths my decision............so believe me! I know how you feel!

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:53pm
post #28 of 38

I know how you feel! Off topic of cakes -- I'm 11 weeks pregnant and if you've ever been pregnant or have kids you know that EVERYONE knows things better than you do. My mom has been driving me up a wall telling me that this won't work, and I shouldn't do this, and it's my decision but then she bad mouths my decision............so believe me! I know how you feel!

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:57pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear3

I know how you feel! Off topic of cakes -- I'm 11 weeks pregnant and if you've ever been pregnant or have kids you know that EVERYONE knows things better than you do.

All 3 times that I was pregnant, it never failed to amaze me that it's open season on pregnant women! It's rude to say "How much weight have you gained?" .... unless you're asking a pregnant woman. It's rude to comment on how much a person is eating or not eating .... unless you're commenting to a pregnant woman.

My sister and I came up with a great response to "How much weight did you gain?" We'd smile and say, "The baby is going fine, thanks for asking."

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:04pm
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear3

I know how you feel! Off topic of cakes -- I'm 11 weeks pregnant and if you've ever been pregnant or have kids you know that EVERYONE knows things better than you do.

All 3 times that I was pregnant, it never failed to amaze me that it's open season on pregnant women! It's rude to say "How much weight have you gained?" .... unless you're asking a pregnant woman. It's rude to comment on how much a person is eating or not eating .... unless you're commenting to a pregnant woman.

My sister and I came up with a great response to "How much weight did you gain?" We'd smile and say, "The baby is going fine, thanks for asking."

That has always amazed me too, especially when the comments come from women who have had children. With my first I gained way too much weight and actually had someone tell me that I must be having a girl (which I already knew was a boy) because my butt had gotten really big and had another friend continuously insist it must be twins - um, hello, don't you think the many u/s would have shown that??? I'm now 30 weeks w/my 4th and I am finally at a point where I just don't care what is said, though it doesn't happen so much now. I did just have a neighbor say, "wow, I haven't seen you for a while, you've really grown, must be due soon." When I answered "not soon enough, I have 10 weeks left", she dropped it. Most people are kind and encouraging, but those few, you just have to laugh at.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%