Which Stencils?

Decorating By kathyw Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm by CookieO

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 5

To everyone who stencils.....Do you use designer cake stencils or do standard craft stencils work just as well? I understand that the cake stencils are thicker. Does that make a difference? Thanks.

4 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:35am
post #2 of 5

I have only purchased one cake stencil. One of the tiny connections tore as I was cleaning it during the cake decorating and now is useless. $10.95 down the drain. I don't think that the stencil was any thicker than what I can find in the stencil section at any hobby store.

Now I cut gumpaste/fondant with my Cricut and apply it to the cake instead of trying to stencil it on. Cleaner and much easier to do, IMHO.

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your response. I'm starting to hear lots of horror stories about stenciling. I would love to hear from more of you out there.

lauritasolorzano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauritasolorzano Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

I have used several times the culinary stencils, which are the same as the designer stencils. And I haven't had any problems with it. You just have to be careful when cleaning it.

Laura

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 5

I tried using a regular craft store stencil the other day, it was too thick/too stiff to easily manipulate around a round cake without causing marks, even on crusted BC. Although I am still just learning the whole cake decorating thing so I was probably not doing it correctly. But this was my experience with a regular craft store stencil so far. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%