5 Year Old Wants To Pipe A Cake

Decorating By maxxthedog Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 1:34am by Sox-n-Pats

maxxthedog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxxthedog Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 8

My daughter wants to pipe a cake. She has been watching the Food Network challenges and got the bug. I have no problem with this as we will take some pictures and eat a cake! No down side there. Now the issue. I have no idea what I'm doing! I can bake a cake but that is about it. I was thinking of making two smaller cakes (9"?) and covering them with fondant but I'm not sure how to do that as I have not tried before.
I'm off tomorrow and Mom is working this weekend so I thought I would do some baking and covering tomorrow and we would pipe on Saturday. Help!
Looking for the right size cake, right type of fondant (I do not want to make my own), any other help. Also something basic that she can pipe with (tools wise). I'm in the Milwaukee WI area and do have access to a few store to buy some basic equipment.
Thanks.

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 8

That's cute! For this job, you could just head down to Michael's Art stor, or Joann's or Hobby Lobby if you have any of those in your area. They'll have everything you need there, and if the staff is knowledgeable, they'll hand you everything you need!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 8

for first cake ---

skip the fondant.

just do all BC

9" good size as can get 2 layers out of 1 box of cake mix

----

the Course 1 Wilton kit will have enough basics for 1st time out.

check websites of HobbyLobby, Michaels, A.C. Moore to see if you can't get a 40% or even 50% off coupon.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 8

I agree, just do buttercream on the first cake. Hobby Lobby has a coupon this week: http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm and Doug is right, the Course 1 kit would be a good way to get the stuff you need.

maxxthedog Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks all,
We do have a Michaels and a JoAnne around here. Not sure about Hobby Lobby, those are usually in IL.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxthedog

...Not sure about Hobby Lobby, those are usually in IL.

Not just Illinois... according to their website: There are currently 432 stores in 34 states. (you can view your state on their map and search to see if there's one in your area.)

maxxthedog Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:29am
post #7 of 8

Thanks,
I guess I worded that wrong. I had only seen them in IL before. There are some in the Milwaukee area just not on the routes that I usually travel which is why I have not seen any.
Do you guys have a preference between JoAnne's, Michaels or Hobby Lobby? I have coupons for all of them. Is there employees from any of those stores that post here and help out that I should repay?

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #8 of 8

I don't have a preference. I go where the sales are and who has what I need. Michaels' takes competetors coupons though, so you can use JoAnns coupons at Michaels if they have what you need.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%