How Much To Charge For Gp Flowers-Please Help??

Decorating By lecrn Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm by lecrn

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I wanted some opinions on how much to charge for gp flowers. I've mainly made them for family cakes, bc no one ever orders them. I have the opportunity to make them for another decorator (she doesn't do gp flowers) & I'm clueless about pricing.
Do you charge per flower? I'm sure some flowers would be more expensive than others?
Also, is there a good website to order them already made? I thought that would be a good way to show the decorator how much they really cost.
Thanks!

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 9

Look up what they are selling from a wholesaler &/or a florist; charge about the same.
I recently made some clementis and got $40 for 8 lg and 5 med.
They were simple - use the daffodil 3 petal cutter in the Wilton gp set (green plastic); shape & ruffle some; put 2 together and dry cupped icon_smile.gif
One site that offers ready made is Wholesale Sugar Flowers. Have you looked at Global Sugar Art - they have many also. Just depends on which flowers you/they want.

lecrn Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Look up what they are selling from a wholesaler &/or a florist; charge about the same.
I recently made some clementis and got $40 for 8 lg and 5 med.
They were simple - use the daffodil 3 petal cutter in the Wilton gp set (green plastic); shape & ruffle some; put 2 together and dry cupped icon_smile.gif
One site that offers ready made is Wholesale Sugar Flowers. Have you looked at - they have many also. Just depends on which flowers you/they want.

Thanks so much! Do you recommend any good gp flower dvds? I really need some help making sprays (since I've never made any).

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 9

Good gumpaste flower DVDs -- well it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I have several of Nick Lodge's DVDs which are excellent but he doesn't have the greatest variety of flowers out there (although he has all the basics.) Scott Woolley has some excellent DVDs also but they will run you $$$. In my opinion they are worth it but remember that's a heavy investment. Both Scott and Nick have gumpaste flower instruction books out as well. Now I also happen to know (don't tell anyone) that Jennifer Dontz has a gumpaste flower DVD coming out in the Fall (yeah baby!!) icon_lol.gif In my opinion she's every bit as good as Nick and Scott, hands down. You can look for that at her website www.jenniferdontz.com. You can also look up any book by Alan Dunn who does amazing Sugarpaste work and a lot of his books go into making not only the flowers but sprays as well. Hope that gives you a place to start anyway! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 9

Okay I screwed up (but I'm man enough to admit it!) icon_biggrin.gif Jennifer Dontz's DVD, the one out this Fall will be on arranging the flowers primarily, not the making of them. I'm sure that she'll have something in the way of sprays to that end but don't quote me on it. icon_lol.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #6 of 9

Hi sugar friends!

The DVD will cover the arranging of sugar flowers on cakes. Also, it will show arranging some fresh flowers and hand wired bouquets.

So much of the time, my students can make the beautiful flowers...but then don't know what to do with them. Hope this will help.

Jen icon_smile.gif

lecrn Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Hi sugar friends!

The DVD will cover the arranging of sugar flowers on cakes. Also, it will show arranging some fresh flowers and hand wired bouquets.

So much of the time, my students can make the beautiful flowers...but then don't know what to do with them. Hope this will help.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Hi Jennifer,
Do you have a DVD on making gp flowers?
Thx

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 9

I don't currently, but we are hoping to shoot the first of a sugar flower series this fall. I'm sooo excited!

I'm also very excited about the arranging DVD...it's the former florist in me icon_smile.gif I LOVE gumpaste flowers...that is my favorite part of cake decorating.

Jen icon_smile.gif

lecrn Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I don't currently, but we are hoping to shoot the first of a sugar flower series this fall. I'm sooo excited!

I'm also very excited about the arranging DVD...it's the former florist in me icon_smile.gif I LOVE gumpaste flowers...that is my favorite part of cake decorating.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Thx, I'll be looking forward to it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%