Have A Cake Due Next Week...need Help With Black Icing...

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm by JanH

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a wrestling ring cake next week...first one! I love this picture that I found in the gallery and I want to do a black zig zag like this, but it's going to be a 12 inch double layer square cake and I'd say I'll need quite a bit of black icing to go around it. I have Americolor Super Black, but honestly, in the past, it has turned more gray. I am worried it will get too bitter and that it will stain their teeth...but his mom said he's 10, so he will think that is cool LOL

So, can someone tell me how to do black like this? She said I could do grey as well but that they are usually black or red. I know I can buy the Wilton Black, but it'll take a lot of tubes and I don't think it tastes that good.

Any suggestions you have would be much, much appreciated.

Okay, I can't get the picture to attach, even though I resized it. It's in the wrestling cake gallery and the decorator is Khemygirl.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1381951.html
[url][/url]

6 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 7

I was going to suggest Americolor. You'll have to use a bunch, but it's the best stuff out there in my opinion. I'm very sensitive to when color tastes bad (red, black, even pink, blue, and green). I have never had any trouble with Americolor tasting bad. (And I use A LOT of black).

So you just need to keep adding black until it's black, black.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 7

Dito to crystrial! Just keep adding small amounts till you get a really deep black. There is a lot of glycerin in that gel color so don't add as much liquid as you normally do in your icing so it will still be the stiffness you like. If it does get a little thin then add a little more powdered sugar to thicken it back up.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 7

How about starting with chocolate icing? I think that would turn black more quickly.

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all of your replies! I also ordered some Chefmaster Powder color today so that might help.

Never thought of chocolate....HMMM!! icon_smile.gif

tika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tika Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 7

To get my icing black black I start off with a dark chocolate icing and go from there. You get the black without the nasty taste. Hope this helps.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 7

For responses to a very similar post, please also see:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-643457-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%