Ufc Cake, Octagon, Help

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 9:07pm by GarciaGM

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, cake due Saturday 10am...Im dying trying to figure out how to get the shape of the ring or very close...Im doing the cake in B/C...hopefully EI for the UFC and TAPOUT... I also need help or ideas on the fence around the ring and poles...as simple as we can do this...lol

cake is for only 12-15ppl, and she is letting me create the cake.
thanks all.

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 7

Well, the shape is the easy part. Bake a square and cut the corners diagonally and you've got an octagon.

I did one of these a couple of weeks ago, and they let me pipe a net onto the sides of the cake and put the poles there also. The net and poles did not extend above the cake. Wrong, but it gave the idea and was easy.

For the net to be above the cake, up in space so to speak, I can't imagine that anything other than sugarveil would work.

Bania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bania Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:22am
post #3 of 7

I just baked 2 round 10 inch cakes and didnt think to look on here 1st about getting the octogon shape...am I doomed...please any ideas I have to start carving in less than 8 hours. icon_sad.gif

Bania Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:23am
post #4 of 7

I just baked 2 round 10 inch cakes and didnt think to look on here 1st about getting the octogon shape...am I doomed...please any ideas I have to start carving in less than 8 hours. icon_sad.gif

Bania Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:24am
post #5 of 7

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 7

You can do it with a round cake too - just make an octogon template out of a cake board, set it on top of your two rounds, and cut the sides away using the template.

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 7

I've never worked with Sugarveil, but couldn't the cage be done in black royal icing and then stood around the edge of the cake on top? Maybe even do royal icing over toothpicks (with a little exposed at the bottom) so that the cage pieces can just be stuck into the cake? I did royal icing bikes for my son's birthday cake and they were sturdy enough.

Pros, can any of you speak to using royal icing for this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%