Carving/sculpting Question

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 6:50pm by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 5

I'm not an experienced cake sculptor, and I was just curious as to how it's done, when you need to have support/boards in the cake. When I see the pros do it on cake challenges, I never see them having to cut into a cake board. I mean, there has to be support in there with all that cake, but you never see the boards. What is their secret? anyone know?

4 replies
cakedesigner59 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:05am
post #2 of 5

bumping myself

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 5

It would depend on the size of your finished cake. I saw on cake boss a while ago that Buddy made a cake to look like an extinct mammal for a museum. He did use a cake board in the middle because that cake was HUGE. And it was propped up on four cake legs (pvc pipe with cake around it).

On the other hand, I am making a 3D Thomas the Train cake for my nephew. I'm starting with a 12X18 sheet, dividing it into three 6" strips, stacking them and carving a train out of it. I won't be needing and boards or dowels because it won't need it.

What are you trying to carve?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 5

I've seen them use boards. Sometimes they use a smaller board in the middle, that's why you dont see it.

cakedesigner59 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 5

I'm not working on anything at the moment. Just curious and filing it away for future reference. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%