I Am New At This And Not Sure Where To Start!

Decorating By Kim0420 Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm by cindy1176

Kim0420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim0420 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone, I have just recently become interested in cake decorating from watching alot of the cake shows on food network. My question is where do I start, should I take a class or have alot of you just taught yourselves with books? Any advice would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 5

welcome to CC, the best resource to all things cake.

Some of us are totally self taught (I'm one of those); some have learned everything via a classroom setting; probably most are a combiination.

But all will agree with me when I tell you the best learning is practice practice practice.

If you are starting totally from scratch, I'd start out with a class at Michaels or Hobby Lobby .... it will be a good way to get some good basic info and get you started.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

I only started last March and has never attended at class. I learned from reading, Youtube videos and experience.

Good luck.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 5

I'm in Wilton Course 3 right now, and it has been really good for me to get some experience working with different mediums. If anything, its a base to go off of. Most times the classes will be ~$20, but some places charge over $40 for one course! Don't ever pay that much.

Good luck! There is a ton of really good advice to be had here, and I'm going to second RylanTy about YouTube. Great stuff!

Once you get into it, you'll find that finding someone to pawn your cake off on will be your biggest problem icon_smile.gif

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyGravity

Once you get into it, you'll find that finding someone to pawn your cake off on will be your biggest problem icon_smile.gif

The best people to pawn your cakes off on will be friends and family...let them know you want them to try the cakes and invite other "friends" so that they can sample your wonderful cakes...have prices already because people will want to order cakes that are not "cookie cutter" cost co cakes and you don't want to get caught off guard and commit to really low prices...ask me how I know this, lol! OH, and don't be afraid to try new things, frosting can always be wiped off and you can start over! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%