Selling Cakes To Make House Payment

Business By southaustingirl Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 9:38pm by JanH

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 3

Has this article already been posted?

New Jersey woman bakes to make mortgage payment, tastes success beyond expectations

In a time of crisis, Angela Logan turned to her kitchen.

Faced with a July 26 payment of $2,559.54 to her mortgage lender, Logan decided to sell 100 homemade "mortgage apple cakes" to friends and family for $40 each to help avoid foreclosure.

They must be pretty darn good: What started last week as 42 orders for the double-layered cakes (covered in butter, cream cheese and vanilla frosting) has turned into something much bigger. As of Tuesday, she had more than 500 orders, including an order from Iraq and one from Hong Kong.

Logan, a divorced mother of three sons, has owned her home in Teaneck, N.J., for 20 years. She started to have financial difficulties after a contractor cost her $50,000 in damages. She applied to the "Making Home Affordable" program after receiving a foreclosure notice in January. Logan has to make three payments of about $2,500 by Oct. 1 in order to keep her home.

Soon Logan's problem was how she could possibly bake hundreds of cakes in her small kitchen. Teaneck's health officer notified Logan that it was against state law to use her house as a commercial kitchen, The Associated Press reported. So the Hilton Hasbrouck Heights is letting her use the hotel's kitchen, where she can produce up to 10 cakes at a time.

"It's been like a dream," Logan told the Bergen Record. "I am speechless. I won't call it overwhelming, because when you get a blessing, you just don't complain. I'll take overwhelming over fear and anguish any day of the week."

Want one? They're available here: http://www.maccakes.com/

2 replies
yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 3

yes, there's a thread where this was discussed in length, it's called "Teaneck,NJ Mom sells cakes from home. Is that Illegal?" and is in the business forum, but I think it's been locked...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%