I Am Soooo Interested In Learning To Cake Decorate!!

Decorating By DollLady Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 12:21am by colombean

DollLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollLady Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:00am
post #1 of 35

icon_biggrin.gif I am so fascinated by the cake challenges on the Food Network!! I was planning on attending the Art Institute, but I could not afford the tuition. How do I go about learning the art of cake decorating? I am a pretty fast learner. Making flowers, etc., seems so daunting to me, but they are so beautiful. Any help you gals give me, will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! icon_lol.gif

34 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 35

Check the forums and articles sections here on CC.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 35

Check with your local Hobby Lobby, Michael, etc they usually have cake decorating classes for beginners.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 35

There are a lot of great books that will give you instruction. I like books from Colette Peters and Confetti Cakes (for cake decorating) and Scott Clark Woolley (for flowers).

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 35

Star by taking every oppertunity to make a decorated cake. Plan them out resurch your design and how to do the little stuff. This site can be a great teacher! I have learned so much here! And how to's on youtube.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 35

I also agree with sadsmile. I first learned by just doing. For years, I made 3D birthday cakes for my children. I only began reading books and taking classes after six years of actually doing.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 35

Try you tube their are some great videos there , also pick up a wilton book or visit their website choose a cake and try. Do not forget to check out all the videos here and the articles they are great tools

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 35

I agree with sadsmile - just get in there and start baking. I learn more from doing it myself and trial and error. Read the posts in the forums, look at the pictures, check the articles and just go for it. For me finding the time to take a class is the issue, with a small child and a husband on call, it just doesn't fit into our schedule. But it doesn't stop me from coming up with ideas, and trying something every chance I get. Youtube videos are great, look for ones from Edna (Tonedna is her youtube name I think). If you are certain you want to put the time and money into it, Sharon Zambito's DVDs are Great.

The one helpful hint I have to offer is once you figure out what you want to do, break it down into steps. Plan it out and don't try to do it all in one day, that way, the little bumps in the road won't seem so terrible, and they won't be as stressful. Have everything planned out before you start. I actually have a cake planning calendar and worksheet (but I'm a little OCD that way.)

Everyone here is wonderful and very helpful. Welcome!!!

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 35

First off welcome to CC, secondly...this is a great start for learning cake decorating. There are some really helpful and talented decorators here, the photo gallery is AWESOME...and the tutorials help a lot too.

It's a good thing you steered away from actual Culinary school...only for one reason. I just graduated culinary school and only one of my courses were cake design. All of the other courses were Pastry related...some chocolate and sugar arts...stuff like that. Though I am glad I've got my degree...cake decorating wasn't a huge focus in degree requirements.

Like someone else mentioned...check your craft stores like Michaels, they give cake design courses from beginning to intermediate...I'm taking one now.

Everything else that was mentioned was a plus too. Happy Caking!!

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 35

Everything that has already been said!
I found here and youtube were and are my greatest resources!!! I have yet to buy a book! icon_wink.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 35

Welcome to CC. I'm definitely not an expert. I decorate as a hobby, but I'll be glad to help you with any questions you might have. Cake Central is a great resource. If I hadn't found this site, I'm not sure I would have stuck with the hobby.

Like the prior posts have mentioned, most people on here are very helpful. You can look at the pictures in the galleries for ideas to help get you started.

I took Wilton 1 and 2 courses about 4 years ago. They are a good place to start to learn the basics. Then you can just build from there. Other than the Wilton courses everything I have learned has been mainly from Cake Central, DVD's by Sharon Zambito and Jennifer Dontz and the great video's by Aine2. If you have any cake supply stores near you they might offer classes also.

Good Luck to you. Have fun and enjoy!

Jean

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 35

I'd like to welcome you to Cake Central, too. I'd been making family birthday cakes since I was 18. Most of them turned out kind of wonky, and none of them looked anything like the original I was copying. I found this site in December of last year and my life changed. So much so that I'm planning to decorate cakes professionally when I retire in a couple of years. The amount of information you can find here, and the kindness and generosity of the members and moderators of this site have made me a much better cake decorator. From here, I've discovered links to other sites, especially YouTube, where you can see videos of literally hundreds of cake decorating procedures. I'm very fortunate in that I discovered a wonderful woman who gives cake decorating classes not very far from where I live. Taking courses is not an inexpensive proposition (I just counted up and find that I've taken 16 different courses from this teacher), but I decided to go for it, since I've always loved to do it, and now I would seriously try to do almost anything. But you can get enough hands-on practice to get you started from the three basic Wilton courses. When you have questions, the people here at CC are always ready with helpful ideas. I wish you the best, because this can be very rewarding!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm
post #13 of 35

I agree! Cake Central is invaluable.

Try a Wilton Course at Michael's as well, because at least you will have someone a little ahead of you review your work and techniques.

I think most people just learn by doing....I know I did when I was "thrown" into it at one of my first jobs after high school.

It's great fun, no matter what!

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:10pm
post #14 of 35

Also check with your local bakery. Some of them may take on unpaid interns. I worked for about 7 months for a fantastic artist in the area, and he taught me a tremendous amount. I frequently have interns work with me for a limited time to learn the ropes. Helps me out and I think they end up learning a lot.

FudgeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FudgeCake Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #15 of 35

I find those schools are not very helpful. Best to just get in there and do it.

eddiesgirl8282 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eddiesgirl8282 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:53am
post #16 of 35

I learned a lot from youtube. Of all the cake shows on t.v. I think cake boss actually shows what he is going to do and kind of shows how he does it.

Kiki74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki74 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #17 of 35

I took the first Wilton course and it was helpful but the internet for me is the best teacher. I have learned so much from YouTube and CC. Most of the people here are very helpful and offer great suggestions and advice. The galleries are great and the forums are very informative. I find myself just browsing through the forums and reading the different posts quite often. I tell my family I'm a cake nerd icon_biggrin.gif I have a few books that I like and I love watching challenges on the FoodNetwork. I'm nowhere near as good as some on hear but I'm happy to help if I can.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:09am
post #18 of 35

Welcome to Cake Central

I took all four of the Wilton Classes 1 and 1/2 years ago and I learned a lot even though I only make cakes for my friends and family, it is fun and I hope to some day do it as a business, and as all the others say this site is very helpful, and if you would like to invest www.sugaredproductions.com have some great DVD's and jenniferdontz.com I also subscribe to americancakedecorating and mailbox news they have great stuff in there I whis you good luck and again welcome

eddiesgirl8282 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eddiesgirl8282 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:12am
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki74

I took the first Wilton course and it was helpful but the internet for me is the best teacher. I have learned so much from YouTube and CC. Most of the people here are very helpful and offer great suggestions and advice. The galleries are great and the forums are very informative. I find myself just browsing through the forums and reading the different posts quite often. I tell my family I'm a cake nerd icon_biggrin.gif I have a few books that I like and I love watching challenges on the FoodNetwork. I'm nowhere near as good as some on hear but I'm happy to help if I can.

I think I'm a cake nerd too!!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:24am
post #20 of 35

The Michael's courses are very inexpensive and can really help you get a feel for cake decorating. I took all 4 of the courses and then found this site. Without this site, I don't think I would have progressed as far as I have.

Bella-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella-cakes Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #21 of 35

Hi and Welcome!! I too am new to cake decorating and I learned so much for CC and youtube..Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:12am
post #22 of 35

I only started cake decorating last March. I watched Youtube videos and kept reading. The best cake decorators out there are self taught. If they can do it, you can.

Good luck.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:39am
post #23 of 35

Welcome to CakeCentral! You are going to LOVE it here!

Search the forums, read the threads, read the articles, make the recipes! It's all here.
So many wonderful generous people are here, and will answer most any question, or help with any problem.

Youtube has wonderful videos, too!

JasonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasonR Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:33am
post #24 of 35

Welcome to cake central! You have already received plenty of great advice here. The only thing I would add is to take pictures of EVERYTHING that you make.......it will do you good in the future. I had a number of years at one job where I never took pictures of any cakes I made and I wish I had. icon_smile.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:54am
post #25 of 35

Welcome to CC. Like everyone said you will love cake decorating. Take the Wilton Classes. They are really inexpensive. Remember icing is your friend, you can cover up anything with icing and that doesn't work you can your family can eat your mistakes.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:11am
post #26 of 35

Welcome welcome!! I am a Wilton Instructor (8ish years) and I would recommend taking at least the Course 1 class to get started. The others courses are great too, the courses just scratch the surface of all the wonderful things you can do with cakes these days. If you live in Virginia Beach you can take some of my classes, I actually teach the 3D cakes as project classes, the fondant shoes, purses etc.... So I bend the rules a tad but my classes are jam packed!! I have a TON of girls (and guys) that have watched the cake challenges and are taking the classes to be the next Duff!!!

Have fun with it, I have really improved my skills after finding out about Cake Central, learned most of my unique knowledge from CC. Also can I recommend a couple of extras - SUGARSHACK!!!! I have all her DVD's and use her icing exclusively and all her techniques. My students haven't picked up on the fact it's not wilton's icing that I use!!! Also the cake books from Toba Garrett, Nicholas Lodge for gumpaste flowers, Elisa Strauss for her 3D cakes, Carol Deacon and others.

ginger
ps. again if your nearby I would love to have you in my class!!!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:24pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Star by taking every oppertunity to make a decorated cake. Plan them out resurch your design and how to do the little stuff. This site can be a great teacher! I have learned so much here! And how to's on youtube.

I agree. When I started baking and cake decorating there was no CakeCentral (I was 12 years old). Heck...there wasn't even an internet! I just picked up a couple of Wilton books and taught myself the basics. You can take beginner classes at Michael's or any of their competitors but you can also learn sooo much from CC and sites like it. I'm still learning.

Also try YouTube for video demonstrations. Many, like Edna and BrandiBakes have EXCELLENT tutorials on making various flowers.

playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #28 of 35

[quote="Lita829]
I agree. When I started baking and cake decorating there was no CakeCentral (I was 12 years old). Heck...there wasn't even an internet! I just picked up a couple of Wilton books and taught myself the basics. You can take beginner classes at Michael's or any of their competitors but you can also learn sooo much from CC and sites like it. I'm still learning.
quote]

I've got that beat. When I started baking, around the same age, the only computers were at NASA and NORAD, and they were as big as my house!
LOL!

Back to the subject, everyone who has access should take a basic course in cake decorating, then go to the glossaries here on CC and learn the rest of the terminology. After that, the classes you take, or the videos you look at, are entirely up to what you want to do. Some people love fondant, some hate it. Others don't like to do anything but buttercream, and some members here do not know how to pipe decorations on cakes, but they can knock out flowers and figures like there's no tomorrow.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #29 of 35

[quote="Lita829]
quote]

I've got that beat. When I started baking, around the same age, the only computers were at NASA and NORAD, and they were as big as my house!
LOL!

Back to the subject, everyone who has access should take a basic course in cake decorating, then go to the glossaries here on CC and learn the rest of the terminology. After that, the classes you take, or the videos you look at, are entirely up to what you want to do. Some people love fondant, some hate it. Others don't like to do anything but buttercream, and some members here do not know how to pipe decorations on cakes, but they can knock out flowers and figures like there's no tomorrow.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

DollLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollLady Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:18am
post #30 of 35

Wow, I didn't know so many of you would write that quick, hehe! I have made cakes, usually pound cakes, some layered cakes, but I have never decorated any of them. All of you have given me so much advice, and I am ready to jump right on in!! Thanks to each of you, I am going to look into Michael's next week, since there is one not too far from me here in Charleston, SC. I will definitely be back asking for all your help!! Thanks again so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%