Wedding Cake Dilemmas

Decorating By gfbakergirl88 Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 10:04pm by gfbakergirl88

gfbakergirl88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbakergirl88 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 3

Dilemma #1
First off I am new to cake decorating. A friend of mine has asked me to do her wedding cake which they will be paying me for. The wedding is not until June of 2010. Sometime in the near future I would like to have my own business doing only gluten-free, allergen-free, vegan cakes. We have discussed this and she is completely against having a gluten-free cake/s. I really want to do the cake for her, but it puts me in a compromising place. I am afraid that if I do a "regular" cake for her that other people will ask me to do "regular" cakes for them, and I would like to keep my bakery 100% gluten-free. Do I be the good friend and do regular cakes for her or say sorry I only do gluten free?

Dilemma #2
How soon if I do decide to do the cake should I have the design finalized?She has already decided that she wants square cakes, with a pool blue rope border for sure. She also wants a cake for each table. Can someone tell me how this works? I was thinking a 3 tier for the wedding party table and 2 tiers for each table of 10, the smaller cakes would have the same border as the larger cake, and a gerber daisy. However, she just wants a double layer cake. Would it not look better to do 2 tiers than a single, and if so how do I convince her that this will be the better choice.

Thanks for the help!!

2 replies
KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 3

trust me you're not going to make a business with gluten free, sugar free cakes. Too few people think sugar free cake, its kind of a an oxymoron. Being willing to compromise will keep you in business.

gfbakergirl88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbakergirl88 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 3

Actually Im planning on doing wheat-free/gluten-free, and vegan cakes. The problem with doing both wheat-free, and regular cakes is cross-contamination. It's too risky to do both, I don't want to be the one to cause a little kid to have an allergic reaction.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%