Epic Cake Fail

Decorating By goddessa12 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 2:39pm by alidpayne

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 18

I'm not sure if anyone on here was/is going to do a cake for the threadcakes.com competition, but I had decided to try out my first competition and get my feet wet. My DH's camera is broken and mine is lost, so i had to buy a disposable camera from Walmart since the rules of the competition are that you have to take pictures of the whole decorating process as well as of course the finished product.
I worked so hard on this cake, it was 3D (which i had never done before) fondant covered(which i had only done in a class) and had molded RKT (hich i had never done before) It wasn't amazing, and i knew it wasn't going to win, but i was proud of it! It was new techniques and i thought it turned out great for not being that experienced. My DH got to see all the components apart but never all together (the RKT weren't working out) but I said, don't worry, you'll see the pictures.
Went to pick up the pictures today (after throwing the cake out this morning) and was told that the whole roll was blank. Not a single picture of the cake that I'd been ignoring my husband and housework for. Nothing to enter in the competition that was the whole point of the stupid cake.
I'm so bummed, I can't stop crying...

17 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 18

Ahh man, that's gotta suck! I feel really sorry for myself if I break one of my gp pieces I worked hard at and your situation is 10x worse. I feel your pain icon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif .

goddessa12 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:45am
post #3 of 18

Mostly I feel dumb, why didn't I save the cake until i knew the pictures came out? But I was trying to clean up the workspace to move on to the next project... thumbsdown.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:37am
post #4 of 18

I am so sorry for your terrible experience. How heartbreaking!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 18

That's terrible! I'm so sorry for you! Why didn't the camera take the pictures though? Was there something wrong with the film?

goddessa12 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 18

Well my sister just told me about a special she watched on dateline about how some disposable camera companies take used cameras and just put new film in them, but if it's not done properly light can get in and ruin the film. Beyond that I'm not sure why it didn't work, it was one of those wind and shoot kind of cameras.

goddessa12 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #7 of 18

Well my sister just told me about a special she watched on dateline about how some disposable camera companies take used cameras and just put new film in them, but if it's not done properly light can get in and ruin the film. Beyond that I'm not sure why it didn't work, it was one of those wind and shoot kind of cameras.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 18

That still sucks. I hope you get your camera fixed soon so that this doesn't happen again. I know you must have spent HOURS and HOURS making that cake.

Good luck with everything!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 18

Oh no!! I'm so sorry! icon_sad.gif

The only positive thing is that you may not have the pictures, but now you at least have experience. The next contest you enter will be much better!

Don't be too discouraged!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 18

There is no fail here!

Quote:
Quote:

I worked so hard on this cake, it was 3D (which i had never done before) fondant covered(which i had only done in a class) and had molded RKT (hich i had never done before)

You learned how to do 3D, you got practice with covering in fondant, and you learned RKT. That's a winning situation in my book.

You also learned what to do and what not to do with a cake for your next competition you enter. You learned what works and doesn't work for you as well.

Yeah it's a bummer the film didn't turn out but there is no fail in this situation, just look at it as practicing for the next competition you do.

And for me most importantly your husband got to see from start to finish the process of decorating. Most guys have no clue why it's so stressful, takes to long etc. and he now understands everything that goes into it.. blood, sweat and tears.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:40am
post #11 of 18

oh my..... serious cyber hugs for that one.....((()))))

goddessa12 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks Everyone, I knew everyone on here would get it! CarolynGwen- You're exactly right, I keep telling my selfI learned a lot and that's good enough. And the DH finally gets why and how I can spend 20 hours on a cake and why when they don't turn out the way I planned I get so bummed.
I made a cake for my inlaws who we're staying with this week, using some of the new techniques i learned and besides the fact it didn't make the 8 hr trip as well as i would have liked, they thought it was amazing so all the pain of the lost cake worked out better than I could have imagined.
I really can't say how much I appreciate all the support I got on here, you all have cheered me up better than the my cake muggle family because they didn't know what to say icon_smile.gif I love my Cake Central family!!

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 18

Oh, man. Just reading that made MY stomach hurt. I hope you wrote a letter to the camera company. Maybe they will AT LEAST reimburse you for the camera. Not that that brings back the cake, but small victories sometimes help.

And if fairies get to sprinkle pixie dust, does that mean we cakers can toss a little bit of powdered sugar in the direction of someone who needs a lift? Cake sprinkles? Sanding sugar.

Whatever it be, here's sprinkling a little at you hoping today will be better!

goddessa12 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:35am
post #14 of 18

Blu- I love the idea of throwing cake sprinkles for someone who needs a lift, that's brillant! I actually hadn't even thought about writing a leter but i really should since it was obviously busted! Thanks for that thought!

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:15pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessa12

Well my sister just told me about a special she watched on dateline about how some disposable camera companies take used cameras and just put new film in them, but if it's not done properly light can get in and ruin the film. .

I used to work in a photo lab, & this is true. Pretty much all major labs keep all the disposable cameras and send them back for recycling. You just take the film out and throw them in a bin for a recycling company to come pick up.

I will tell you that when I was working there the recycled cameras would be sold as a generic brand (like at the dollar store) and not as the same name brand again. I was there a long time and never had an issue with a disposable ruining the film. My advice would be to always buy a name brand if you have to get a disposable camera, you have a much better chance that way.

goddessa12 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 18

The one I bought was fuji film from a walmart... do you think I would have been better off getting like a kodak one?

ChimbleySweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChimbleySweets Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #17 of 18

glad to see a fellow threadcaker on here icon_wink.gif so sorry your camera did that to you icon_sad.gif

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 18

Actually Fuji or Kodak would have been what I recommended. You could have just gotten a dud. It happens sometimes, even with regular rolls of film.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%