Fondant Covered Cake Board

Decorating By pumpkinroses Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm by PinkLisa

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:45am
post #1 of 5

how far in advance can I cover the cake base board in fondant? I need to try out my chocolate fondant to make sure it's going to work but I also don't want to waste any.

TIA
Nikki

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:29am
post #2 of 5

Hi Nikki, I use to cover the whole cake board in fondant. I did it three days before, so it has lot of time to dry. Make sure you use a thin board under the cake and stick that on the fondant covered cake board with a dab of royal icing. If you put the cake straight onto the fondant covered board, the bottom of the cake will go all sticky and goey.

So now I use bandage method to cover my cake board. I put the cake in the middle of the board and then cover it with fondant. then roll out some fondant and cut a strip out and cover the board.

Hope this helps to understand what I said,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/sets/72157594575839118

icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

So now I use bandage method to cover my cake board. I put the cake in the middle of the board and then cover it with fondant. then roll out some fondant and cut a strip out and cover the board.

thumbs_up.gif

Would you also do this method for square cakes? If so, can you get the corner seams smoothed out? Thanks!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 5

I do it by placing strips of fondant on sides. So you will get a seam on all corners. If you look at my photos you will see what I mean. But if you don't like it, you can do some pattern to the board. check the second photo in this link,

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&rlz=1R2ADBS_en&um=1&q=square+cakes&sa=N&start=72&ndsp=18

Its done by one of our CC member Cakepro.

And the other thing that you can do is to have the strip of fondant qiute big width wise.Hope it make sence. icon_smile.gif

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 5

bashini -- great trick. I need to try that one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%