? Hershey's Cocoa In Black Royal Icing

Baking By sandy1 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 10:55pm by niccicola

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 14

When making black royal icing for cookies, what type of Hershey's cocoa am I suppose to use? I saw where some of you use the Special Dark Hershey cocoa but when I used the unsweented powder it made my icing bitter. Was I suppose to use the Special Dark Hershey cocoa mix (hot cocoa mix) that has sugar in it???
Sandy

13 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 14

Sandy, I've alwasy used regular Hershey's cocoa. It shouldn't be bitter with the sweetness of the RI. Now, it does not take very much cocoa to make it chocolaty. Maybe you're putting too much. You still have to put in black food color. I've also used a little cocoa in in TG and it really is yummy, chocolaty

sandy1 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 14

Do you use the regular Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder?? I may have put too much in because it was terrible. I must have put in about 1/2 cup. How much am I suppose to use?
I went out and bought the Special Dark hot cocoa mix that ha sugar in it, thinking I made the mistake of using the wrong stuff.
Sandy

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 14

Sandy, I've never done a whole batch with cocoa, only a portion I'm coloring black. So I can't help there. Yes, I used the regular unsweetened cocoa, and really it doesn't take much to chocolate it up. But hang in there, plenty of the real experts will be along to help you before the day is done.
Shine On

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 14

I've never done a whole batch either... I totally eyeball it... first I make a "slurry" with some cocoa and water, then when it's mixed/dissolved I add it to the thick RI, which thins it enough and also makes it a nice brown.

sandy1 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 14

bonniebakes,
I put about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa in a cup and added warm water to it, mixing until it was a thin paste. I added this to my royal icing which did thin it out but the taste of the icing was bitter. I was surprised because of the amount of sugar that is in the icing. Do you have any idea how much cocoa powder you use to what portion of royal icing? I don't mean to be a PIA but I'm not having luck with this. I must be doing something wrong! Should I use the hot cocoa Hersheys mix, that has sugar added, instead of the regular cocoa powder?
Thanks,
Sandy

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 14

You can add a tad of salt to your cocoa to help with the bitter taste.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 14

Hi Sandy - I have mentioned in a couple of different forums to use the Hershey's Special Dark when making black RI. I am sorry it didn't work for you icon_sad.gif , but I don't add all that much. I add just enough to get it to a medium brown. I use this all the time and have not had an issue with it being bitter and gets lots of compliments, so I am guessing you might want to pull back on the amount you add. Giving regular cocoa a try might be something you like more. Remember to let it say for a day (or a two, if you can) as the color will deepen a lot. Also, I use Americolor Super Black (Wilton can be bitter) and don't put in as much as you think you will need. It will darken over time. Hope it works out for you!

sandy1 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 14

Tracy, thanks for the information. I think I put way too much in the icing. I'll try making another batch and add less cocoa. I did order some Ameri color super black. I was using the Wilton black.

TracyLH Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 14

I think pulling back on the cocoa and switching to the Americolor Super Black will solve the problem. icon_biggrin.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

I think pulling back on the cocoa and switching to the Americolor Super Black will solve the problem. icon_biggrin.gif

yeah, I think it will too. I've never noticed a bitter taste after adding the dark cocoa....

TracyLH Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:06pm
post #12 of 14

Agreed, nor have I. I think the Wilton was the culprit with the bitter taste.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 14

So, to make black RI, I just need to add in a little Hershey's Special Dark (is this cocoa powder?) and some black color?

Boy, that will sure help out a lot.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Hi Sandy - I have mentioned in a couple of different forums to use the Hershey's Special Dark when making black RI. I am sorry it didn't work for you icon_sad.gif , but I don't add all that much. I add just enough to get it to a medium brown. I use this all the time and have not had an issue with it being bitter and gets lots of compliments, so I am guessing you might want to pull back on the amount you add. Giving regular cocoa a try might be something you like more. Remember to let it say for a day (or a two, if you can) as the color will deepen a lot. Also, I use Americolor Super Black (Wilton can be bitter) and don't put in as much as you think you will need. It will darken over time. Hope it works out for you!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:55pm
post #14 of 14

hi! I made a batch of Wilton's royal icing this weekend and tinted 1/2 the recipe black. I added an extra tablespoon of Meringue powder to the whole recipe and then used Americolor Black and Americolor Red to get dark red and black colors. No cocoa.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%