Trying To Work With Fondant For The First Time

Decorating By adamsmom Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm by adamsmom

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 3

I am doing some "test runs" on working with fondant for my son's upcoming 1st birthday. I just hate the idea of spending so much money on something that I believe I could make myself. So, I baked my cakes yesterday and let them settle. Iced them with BC and went to put fondant on my 9'' round cake and it didn't work very well. I had to take it all off. I believe that I had the fondant too thin. What would be the typical thickness for placing on cakes? Any suggestions on how to work with fondant for a first time user? I am doing a "down on the farm" theme, so I'd like to be able to do some animals as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 3

I usually roll mine out to 1/8 - 1/4 inch. What didn't work for you? It does take time and practice so be patient. As for the animals my sculpting skills are none, hopefully someone else will give you an answer. How much frosting is on your cake? You don't need a lot, half of what you would normally use if you weren't using fondant. You only need a thin layer to give the fondant something to stick to.
Good Luck

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 3

Well, it sounds like I didn't have my fondant too thin, but I may have had too much icing on it. I'll try taking some icing off and give it a go again tonight. Will let you know of any progress. Thanks for your input!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%