Refrigerating Fondant Figures

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 5:03pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,
I had trouble with getting on CC today and trying to figure out what would happen if I refrigerate fondant figures. The search function does not seem to work for me, so if anyone can point me to the thread that it's discussed on, I'd appreciate it. I need to make some bears and other fondant elements to go on the cake that needs to be refrigerated due to the perishable filling, and was wondering if that's going to work. Anyone tried it? The cake itself will be covered in butercream. Will the figures sweat...melt...crumble?
Thanks in advance, P

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 8

Some people have problems with it (I haven't). I suggest you add the figures once it is out of the fridge.

Pebbles1727 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 8

What fondant do you use? I cannot add figures once it's out of the fridge because I need to give it to the customer assembled and they will be putting it in the fridge. So even if I give it to them looking great since I just put figures on the cake, when they get home, put it in the fridge and take it our later, what is it going to look like? Anyone else had any experience with it?
TIA, P

LynnZClaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnZClaire Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 8

This is actually a hard question. I had it too awhile back. I used to decorate my cakes fully and then pop them in the fridge, however the last time I did that my fondant decorations looked wilted and were soft to the touch when I took them out of the fridge (they were dried rock hard before I put them in!!) After that time I did it again and the decorations were fine when I pulled the cake out of the fridge. So....I guess I'm no help! I did notice that the times I was having problem w/ the decorations in the fridge were the times I had made cupcakes w/ fondant decorations and had the cupcakes in the plastic 12 cup carriers and when I didn't have a problem was when the fondant decorations were on a full cake that was in a cardboard carrier that was half open with seran wrap over the open side. hmmmmm....it could possibly be what I had the different items in... okay, sorry I'm still no help icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 8

So what do you guys do for decorations on cakes that need to be refrigerated? Buttercream only?
Please help, P

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:47am
post #6 of 8

I just make sure my figures are made of gumpaste or at the very least, 50/50 fondant gumpaste (or fondant+tylose). To answer your initial question, IF there is a problem, they won't crack or crumble, but rather may soften and wilt, or else the colors could run, especially if they are being placed on buttercream rather than on top of a fondant-covered cake (the latter will also reduce the moisture exposure). Also keep in mind: how long is the customer going to refrigerate it? If it's just a few hours, chances are things won't wilt.

If I were you I would do a test run. Just make up a quick little figure (be sure to use some colors though) and pop it in the fridge. Check every few hours to see how it's surviving.

I've read here that it helps to package the cake in a box - breathable (i..e don't wrap it in plastic or anything) -- to help keep the atmosphere dry in there. I had cupcakes with fondant decos which were *destroyed* because I frig'd them in a plastic container. DOH.

Pebbles1727 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!
P

Pebbles1727 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!
P

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%