Wedding Cake

Decorating By Jodicakes Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 1:02pm by cylstrial

Jodicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodicakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 6

I was asked to make a wedding cake for a friend. She wants it to be 12" in diameter and 6 inches high on he bottom tier, top tier to be 8" in diameter and 8 inches high. That just doesn't seem right. Has anyone heard of making a cake like this? I did a practice cake and made bottom tier 3 1/2 inches high and top tier 5 inches high. It still looked rather strange for a wedding cake. Help! I don't know what to do.

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, all my cakes are 3" high. You need to make 2 x 3" high cakes for the bottom tier and stack them. And for the top tier, you have to make 4 x 2" high cakes and stack them. I have seen cakes with different hights.

Here is a cake from Cake That.

http://www.cakethat.com.au/index2.php#/gallery3/1/

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 6

Don't over do the filling to get the height or your layers could slide or filling could buldge out. I think the cake will look really nice and brides are trying for a less traditional look now. I don't know about support though. You may need to put a seperator plate or cake board half way up each tier and dowel accordingly. SPS would asure a great result. The top tier does not need to be four seperate 2" cakes. I make 4" cakes all the time and could easiily stack two with the right support and ice it as one cake and you wouldn't even know. It would just look extra tall-which is the look the Birde wants. You need to think about cutting and serving and having four 2" cakes just makes more work then two 4" cakes on top. AS long as your support is done properly and the wieght is resting on the support and not on the cake layer benethe then you are golden. Have fun with this request it's a new trend and very hip.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 6

sometimes those weird cakes turn out great. preumably she didnt pull those numbers out her rear, id guess she saw it somewhere else, and liked it.

i wouldnt bother ordering dummies to test it out, see if you can craft some your self out of card board. if you still dont like it, advise your friend, and make sure she signs off to the sizes on the contract.

at the end of the day, and if its what they want, well, its what they get.
xx

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 6

I'd make two 8" cakes that are each 4" tall, and I'd dowel the bottom cake and stack the other right on top of it with a piece of cardboard that is cut to exactly the same size as the cake. Then you can ice the whole thing as one cake but when they cut it, they'll just cut down to the cardboard for a traditional 1 x 2 x 4" piece of cake. Obviously, you can't slap an 8" high piece of cake on a dessert plate!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I'd make two 8" cakes that are each 4" tall, and I'd dowel the bottom cake and stack the other right on top of it with a piece of cardboard that is cut to exactly the same size as the cake. Then you can ice the whole thing as one cake but when they cut it, they'll just cut down to the cardboard for a traditional 1 x 2 x 4" piece of cake. Obviously, you can't slap an 8" high piece of cake on a dessert plate!!

I would do the same thing! icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%