A Few ? About My First Choc Wrap

Decorating By Jenthecakelady Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm by Jenthecakelady

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 11

I am planning on doing a chocolate wrap on my cousin's birthday cake at the end of August. I want to do a couple of trials first of course, but I have some questions.

1)Is there is certain kind of acetate I have to look for? i.e. food safe/non-food safe
2)When taping together pieces of acetate do you tape them end to end or overlap slightly? I've been debating on this because in the tutorials I've read it never really says.
3)Does doing multiple layers of chocolate make it more difficult?
4)Does coloring white chocolate create a problem with consistency/setting up?

Here is my plan: To wrap the cake in a colored white chocolate a bit higher than the cake, then stair step down with reg chocolate then another colored layer (all with irregular top edges) then fill the top with choc covered strawberries in those same colors. I thought it would be a little bit funky but a little bit grown up too-she's turning 14 and you know how girls are @ that age!!

Sorry it's so long I just wanted to get all the info I could before I started my first practice cake-probably later this week. TIA --Jen icon_smile.gif

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 11

I went to an art store and bought a sheet of mylar for about $10. You can cut it and piece it back together again if you want.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 11

I use freezer paper, not acetate....works just fine and you don't have to tape the pieces together. You can cut it to length.
The only problem I can see with coloring chocolate is that moisture makes chocolate seize. Maybe using candy melts would be better?
With the multiple layers, you just have to let the layer set and remove the paper before you do the next one.

Jodie

Jenthecakelady Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 11

I will try it with freezer and candy melts first. Thanks for your help.

Jenthecakelady Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 11

I will try it with freezer paper and candy melts first. Thanks for your help.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 11

You can colour candy melts, you aren't so limited with colours then. Wilton sells candy colouring gels that can be used with candy melts (i.e. the white ones). There are right near the chocolate making supplies at Michaels (usually right beside the candy melts, and molds). I have coloured candy melts for years and have never had any problem with seizing. You can also melt down white chocolate chips and colour them with the same Wilton colourings.

I did my first chocolate wrap last week and used parchment paper (Wal Mart had no freezer paper) - worked okay, would be good for practice, but not as stiff as I would have liked. However it did give me a neat idea - the paper crinkled in some spots once I put it on, so it left the indentations in the chocolate, so next time, I might try to crumple the piece of paper first then apply the melted chocolate so that I get a sort of jagged, 'rocky' look to it.

JodieF Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 11

Freezer paper would be by the foil, plastic bags and such. I get mine at Wal-Mart. I also fold mine into thirds to make it a bit "stiffer". It's easier to work with that way.

Jodie

JodieF Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 11

Freezer paper would be by the foil, plastic bags and such. I get mine at Wal-Mart. I also fold mine into thirds to make it a bit "stiffer". It's easier to work with that way.

Jodie

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Jodie

I searched and searched. Our Wal Mart just sucks. I had read elsewhere that you fold yours to make it stiffer - don't you have problems with it being too 'low' then and not coming up above the top of your cake? I was only able to fold mine in half once.

JodieF Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 11

No...freezer paper is about 4 inches wider than parchment, so that wasn't a problem. Maybe you could ask about the freezer paper and they'd order it. I also use it to cover cake boards. That stuff comes in handy and it's very inexpensive. You get a large roll for about $5.

Jodie

Jenthecakelady Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Maybe you could ask about the freezer paper and they'd order it.

Sometimes Wal-Mart won't do that kind of stuff, but if you have a smaller grocery store nearby they usually will-especially if you go there frequently.

I have plenty of colors for candy melts since I'm the one who always gets stuck making the shaped candies for special events. For some reason people think it takes a special talent or skill to make them (at least in my group of family/friends).

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%