Boss" Wedding Cake

Decorating By carpet Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 5:17am by steplite

carpet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carpet Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:27am
post #1 of 5

I "m been decorating cakes about 2 1/2 yrs .I make 3 to 4 cakes a month for family & friends .My boss ask me to make his wedding cake for Sept. 5 . And like a dummie i said ok .What was i thinking ?. He wants a stack cake for 125 people .The biggest cake i ever made was a 10 in cake .I dont even know where to begin. What size pans do i use ? How do i tranport it ? I have a long way to go to make beautiful cakes like everyone here on cc.I cant sleep because i' thinking how to do it.I dont make enoug cakes to practice. Please i need all the help i could get .So i could get some sleep. thank you

4 replies
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 5

Ok, so take a deep breath. Has your boss told you what type of cake he wants?

For round, a 6" 10" 14" would give you 128 slices. Or 6" 8" 10" 12" is 130 slices. I use the Wilton chart here: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

You can transport it fully stacked as long as you've done the right supports. Some swear by the SPS system (a thread about it is at the top of the decorating forum, I think it is), but I've never used it. I use bubble tea straws for support. Then you would do one long dowel down the middle of the entire stacked cake.

Just take it one step at a time. Talk to your boss about what kind of cake he wants. What shape? What flavor? How do they want it decorated?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 5

do you want to do this cake? you ound pretty stressed already.
no - then tell him you would rather he used someone else, as it doesnt sound like you have a contract yet (if you have a contract, then you are stuck!).
yes - then breathe, and focus. jut now you are all WEDDING CAKE OMG!!!!! break it down. you pressumably have good reipes, and know the basic techniques. and that a huge starting point - we get people on here asking for baic recipes, so at least you dont have that to worry about.

also, if yes, then get the contract and get the details sorted out. if you need them, there are sample contracts on here. just cause he is your boss doesnt mean he wont try and screw you!

you can transport stacked or unstacked. if you do it stacked, then theres lots of post about that. doing it untacked mean thinking bout your design, and being able to finish up at the venue.

you might want to practice a stacked cake, see how you get on. but the crucial thing to remember is that in the end, all you have to do is bake 3 cakes. which then happen to be displayed together. its not a huge monter that just has to appear when needed.

you dont have any photos uploaded, btu given the number of cakes you do, you mut be pretty decent by now, so im ure you will do fine icon_smile.gif
xx

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 5

do you want to do this cake? you ound pretty stressed already.
no - then tell him you would rather he used someone else, as it doesnt sound like you have a contract yet (if you have a contract, then you are stuck!).
yes - then breathe, and focus. jut now you are all WEDDING CAKE OMG!!!!! break it down. you pressumably have good reipes, and know the basic techniques. and that a huge starting point - we get people on here asking for baic recipes, so at least you dont have that to worry about.

also, if yes, then get the contract and get the details sorted out. if you need them, there are sample contracts on here. just cause he is your boss doesnt mean he wont try and screw you!

you can transport stacked or unstacked. if you do it stacked, then theres lots of post about that. doing it untacked mean thinking bout your design, and being able to finish up at the venue.

you might want to practice a stacked cake, see how you get on. but the crucial thing to remember is that in the end, all you have to do is bake 3 cakes. which then happen to be displayed together. its not a huge monter that just has to appear when needed.

you dont have any photos uploaded, btu given the number of cakes you do, you mut be pretty decent by now, so im ure you will do fine icon_smile.gif
xx

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:17am
post #5 of 5

Sugarshack's DVD Successful Stacking Helped me a lot. All of her DVD's are great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%