Dummy Cake For Wedding Question

Decorating By aundrea Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm by aundrea

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 5

My daughter got engaged yesterday and asked me to make her cake. She is going to have a destination wedding and I suggested doing a dummy cake.
After I explained what it was and sheet cakes will be served she was fine with it.
Her question and now mine too is, she wants to do the whole 'the bride/groom cuts the cake' thing. What do they cut?
I am thinking one cake tier is real? Or is there a small cake next the the wedding cake???
Not sure what you do for this.
And we still need to find out if I can store the sheet cakes prior to the wedding.
The wedding will be 4+ hours away from where we live. She is getting married on the beach, at a resort.
TIA
And if this is the only question or problem I have, ill consider myself lucky! LOL

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 5

Well, you could cut a wedge out of the dummy, and replace it very strategically with a real piece of cake, mark where they need to make their cake, and there ya go.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 5

or prebake layers and freeze

premake icing and freeze.

travel to site

thaw it all
assemble it all (simple easy design of course)
real cake

been there, did that for niece. 10 hour drive from NC to St. Pete, FL
work space was a 2x4foot food service cart. 3 tier cake on pillars -- pirouette cookies as the "icing" around the tiers which had full torting and icing for those dang blame cookies to stick to!)

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:06am
post #4 of 5

For the cake cutting photo op the brides place the knife on the dummy cake and fake the cut.

I usually make a small satellite cake (4 or 6 inch) decorated in a similar manner to the wedding cake and it sits beside the dummy cake at the reception. Or use empty cans and cut out three layers to make a mini stacked cake. I have a collection of different sizes for this purpose. Much cheaper than buying the pans to make the stacked cake.

To transport the dummy cake, find a cardboard box the same size as the base of the cake or cut one to size. Remove the top. Cut down the edges of one side of the cake and make a flap. Slide the cake in and then tape or use string to tie the flap up. The cake will be very stable to travel.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions and tips.
I def. Have time before the date. I would love to make her cake. Just unsure how to pull it all together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%