Help... Hi-Ratio Shortening

Decorating By Charmed Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm by BREN28

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 11

I want to buy hi-ratio shortening. Can't decide what brand. which brand do you prefer to use.
Thanks thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:22am
post #2 of 11

Sweetex. Alpine has a funny taste to me though others said they couldn't taste it.

Charmed Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 11

sweetwx

Charmed Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 11

anybody else?!!

CrankyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrankyCakes Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 11

For the home baker Crisco will work just fine. Your mainly looking for the emulsifiers added to high ratio shortening. Sweetex would be the commercial brand, and is most definitely better than alpine.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 11

many home bakers on this site use sweetex.. they say after changing from crisco to sweetex.. they never looked back. hth

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 11

No to long ago I moved and could no longer find the brand of pre-creamed stuff I used to get in the grocery store. So I bought CK Hi-ratio and when oping it I could have cried. I complained in here that it seemed so soft and how in the world could this stuff be worth the money. I was told that is was crisco on steroids and to just try it.
OK so I have made it twice and used it on three cakes now. My verdict is that this stuff is magical and really holds the emulsion well. I use less moisture then Sugarshack calls for because I live in hot & humid FL but this stuff holds up nice and is smooth. Much better then with just crisco or the pre-creamed I mourned. Thankfully my mourning is over Haha I am a hi-ratio girl now!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyCakes

For the home baker Crisco will work just fine. Your mainly looking for the emulsifiers added to high ratio shortening. Sweetex would be the commercial brand, and is most definitely better than alpine.

I have to disagree, crisco is nothing like hiratio. I'll never go back to crisco or any store brand of shortening since using hiratio.

Charmed Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:05am
post #9 of 11

thanks everybody appreciate your help thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:30am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyCakes

I have to disagree, crisco is nothing like hiratio. I'll never go back to crisco or any store brand of shortening since using hiratio.

Oh I definitely ditto this! Sorry, Crisco is in no way even close to being hi ratio. Just tonight I attempted Sugarshack recipe with my newly acquired Sweetex....holy smokes! Knocks the pants off of every shortening based icing I've ever made. I have made a lot. It's why I switched to SMBC awhile back, but find the necessity for a shortening based occasionally due to where I live.

Crisco=not hi-ratio at all.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 11

i use the ck brand also,(its the only one iv had a chance to use) and i love it! works great by itself or half and half.i started to run low on my high ratio,so i used half high ratio and half my reg shortening,and it work great also! ive also used it with half butter,which works great too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%