I Am A Mold Newbie Who Needs Some Help.

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 4:51pm by butterfly831915

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, so I hear about these molds all the time for fondant and gumpaste. So I purchased a couple and now I don't know how to get them out of the molds. They did not come with the instructions so I don't know how to get them out of the molds. Could any of you help me out please.

Thank you so much!!! icon_lol.gif

10 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 11

Hi, when I use molds, I use a bit of shortening. I first rub it in the mold, and then put the paste in. Here is a great video from tonedna on how to make a pearl boarder using a pearl mold.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 11

Hi, when I use molds, I use a bit of shortening. I first rub it in the mold, and then put the paste in. Here is a great video from tonedna on how to make a pearl boarder using a pearl mold.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 11

I do the opposite with molds I dust with corn startch that I have in a tied off knee high stocking which only lets out a fine amount. I rub this over any fondant or gumpaste I will be putting into the mold also. So try both and see what works for you. Try putting in only enough to fill the cavity and then turn the tray or mold over and tap it till it falls out. If it is a soft mold then you can turn it over and squeeze the mold in a way to open the cavity more and push the piece out onto your work surface. I also load my pearl mold with luster dust before pushing in the gumpaste which acts like a powder release and the luster is embedded into the surface making the pearls very smooth.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 11

I use the cheap plastic molds that are intended for chocolate. To use it with fondant, spray it with pam spray, then take a paper towel and rub as much out of the mold as possible. The fondant will pop right out icon_biggrin.gif and the edges are easier to clean up because the pam spray keeps it from sticing to the mold, so you can roll the rough edges toward the back of the piece you're making before you take it out. The pam spray doesn't leave the fondant looking too greasy or keep you from being able to paint it.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #6 of 11

I usually dust it with a mixture of cornstarch and powdered sugar.

butterfly831915 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you guys so much. I knew it would be something simple that I wasn't even thinking of.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 11

I use alot of silicone molds and just pop them into the freezer for a few minutes and just twist the mold slightly and they will fall right out. HTH

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 11

I learned a lot from reading this post.I have several of those chocolate trays that I very rarely use and never even thought of using them for fondant!Also I have a brand new pair of knee highs that were a free sample in the mail that I will never wear and I was going to order one of those dusting pouches from wilton,not now.I know this was a little off subject but it is amazing the other uses you can find for your cake stuff if you stop and think about it for a while.

butterfly831915 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks again for the help everyone, I am excited to try my molds again now.

butterfly831915 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks again for the help everyone, I am excited to try my molds again now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%