How Far Ahead Can I Make Fondant Gerber Daisies ?

Decorating By jclvs2 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm by jclvs2

jclvs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jclvs2 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 31

Hi Everyone, I need some major advice! I have my first wedding on Oct. 24th. And the bride wants a cupcake tree of 200 with a 6 in cake topper. She wants a fondant gerber daisey to be atop of each cupcake. Colors are brown and white. So I will need to make 100 brown and 100 white. My first question ( which I do have many) how far ahead could I start making them? Should I buy the brown fondant on line since I have so many to make? So they all will be the same shade Then how should I keep them stored after they are done? I would appreciate any suggestions icon_smile.gif

30 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 31

You DO have a big project! icon_eek.gif
Starting backwards, I'd say yes to ordering your brown online. Now, does she want "brown?" or "chocolate?" Those are two different things. If she wants brown, then I'd also order the white as the taste will remain consistent.

Second. If you make them quite out in advance, they will keep just fine, but they will firm up. As well, the brown might take on a slightly more dull look. You could bring the brightness back into play closer to the wedding date by lightly steaming them so that's not a huge obstacle. As I make them, I'd allow them to set up a bit (overnight), then store them in plastic airtight containers with bubble wrap between layers. I'd limit the number of layers to no more than three.

I'm sure there are more suggestion out there! Good luck!

jclvs2 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #3 of 31

Thank you Win for the advice so quickly, before I know it that day will be here. Yes she wants brown I have made samples up for her so she could see what they will look like. I made my own brown color. Could you recommend a website to purchase the fondant?

I was thinking of starting in September to make them. I've also heard that the fondant can crack over time. Will I be able to handle the daisies with out them breaking in my hands doing them early September? That would be a disaster the day of set-up if they chose to crack and break.! I know I will be making extras in case of a few mishaps.

Thanks again for your help

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 31

Last month I did 200 cupcakes plus an 8" cake for pictures. I had to make 200 sunflowers to go on top of the cupcakes. A month before I started making them. Wasn't sure how to store them,so first of all just made two flowers.Let thet sit (not covered)overnight & then stored one in a Tupperware container & the other in a cookie (metal) tin.
The next day,the one stored in the Tupperware container was soft & had started to droop a little. The one in the tin was still perfect. So, I made the 200 flowers & let them sit overnight before storing them in metal tins. I placed cardboard between layers & just stored them in a cool,dry place.A month later, they were ready to be placed on the cupcakes & they were perfect.
I have another order in September for 160 cupcakes with daisies on them & I will be using the same method.One thing though,after a tip from a master cake decorator, I didn't use just straight fondant. I used 50% fondant & 50% gumpaste mixed together. This makes the flowers firm,but not rock hard & still edible.Also, I used the plunger cutters. Makes doing 200 flowers a breeze.
Be sure to post pictures when you are done.

Win Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpy

One thing though,after a tip from a master cake decorator, I didn't use just straight fondant. I used 50% fondant & 50% gumpaste mixed together. This makes the flowers firm,but not rock hard & still edible.Also, I used the plunger cutters. Makes doing 200 flowers a breeze.
Be sure to post pictures when you are done.

I actually typed a whole paragraph about the 50/50 gumpaste fondant mixture then deleted it. It is the way I, personally, would go as well. Actually, when making flowers, I go straight gumpaste. The problem with that is the brown that lclvs2 mentioned... brown is one of the hard ones to get consistent so she would either have to make a very large batch and keep it airtight so it does not dry out while she is working with it, or she will have to carefully record exactly how many drops it took to get the brown she was happy with so she can recreate smaller batches.

thumbs_up.gif

jclvs2 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 31

Thank you both very much . Limpy I do have a plunger set for the gerber so that will be easy.

One other thing the bride requested was that each center be the opposite of the color of the flower . So I will have to have brown centers ready to go on my white daisys and white ready when I do the brown. I am so nervous, can I buy fondant and gumpaste already mixed in a brown anywhere? I have looked on Global Sugar Art but only found satin fondant.

Now on your comment Win. That is why I am nervous cause the last thing I want is all different shades of brown if I had to make my own batches. I think I might just try to find it and buy it already mixed so that they all will be the same. I am so greatful for your help I don't feel as lost knowing I can come here at CC and ask questions. I do my work alone but I am asking a few friends to help me out for this occasion.

Thank you Win and Thank you Limpy for all your help

Win Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #7 of 31

I'm sending a PM.

Limpy Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 31

I did pink sunflowers with white centres & white sunflowers with pink centres. I used the silicone flower centre set for the centres. I "glued" the centre of the flowers to the flower with 1 tablespoon gumpaste that had been dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water (I left this in a covered Tupperware container overnight in the fridge). Made my own fondant (Toba Garrett recipe). Recipe times 2 for each colour. Had lots left. Didn't need as much as I thought I would. Used liquid Americolour to colour the pink. Why not make your own fondant? Tastes great & sooo much cheaper. You will be able to control the colour.I would post a photo,but I am having trouble loading the photo. I think it is too big & I have tried to resize,but I am new to this photo thing. If you would like to PM me, I can forward a photo that way.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 31

Which plunger cutter did you use? Any link to it would be very much appreciated!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclvs2

I was thinking of starting in September to make them. I've also heard that the fondant can crack over time. Will I be able to handle the daisies with out them breaking in my hands doing them early September?

I did a quinceanera last month with 150 cupcakes - each having a small daisy on top. I made the daisies out of gumpaste and did them about 2 months in advance, with extras in case of breakage. I just stored them in a plastic container with a piece of plastic wrap kind of wadded between the layers for added protection and a sealed lid on the container. If you make them out of fondant, they may stick a little bit if they're in a closed container so I'd probably let them sit out and dry just a little before putting in the containers for storage. Now...if she wants soft daisies so people can eat them, then you'll have to make them closer to the delivery date so they don't dry out.

When I pulled them out to put on the cupcakes, they were perfect. I think I only lost one daisy out of all 150+ of them because I tried to bend one of the petals and it broke. Doing them all ahead of time really made it so much easier. I baked all on one day, iced them and put the flowers on the next and delivered. Easy squeezy!

jclvs2 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 31

Thank you all again for all your examples. It is so good to hear different experiences.

NEWMANSMOM2004 The gerberas I am making are about the same circumfrence as a standard cupcake maybe even a bit bigger, so they are a bit bigger then yours so I'm thinking I may not want to put them on until I get to the hall. What is your opinion on that?

MENCKED, I can't remember where I got my plunger set on line but on my box it says PME ARTS&Crafts, www.cakedecoration.co.uk . Not sure but you can try this. It is called Veined Sunflower Gerbera & Daisy Plunger Cutters. There are 3 different sizes in one box . I love them!

Limpy, I am new with the fondant so I have never made my own. I am a self tought baker so I have no professional classes under my belt except the Wilton classes and those are basic. So Not sure if I would be comfortable I guess I would have to try it before hand to see.

Thank you all again !!!! icon_biggrin.gif

jclvs2 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #12 of 31

Thank you all again for all your examples. It is so good to hear different experiences.

NEWMANSMOM2004 The gerberas I am making are about the same circumfrence as a standard cupcake maybe even a bit bigger, so they are a bit bigger then yours so I'm thinking I may not want to put them on until I get to the hall. What is your opinion on that?

MENCKED, I can't remember where I got my plunger set on line but on my box it says PME ARTS&Crafts, www.cakedecoration.co.uk . Not sure but you can try this. It is called Veined Sunflower Gerbera & Daisy Plunger Cutters. There are 3 different sizes in one box . I love them!

Limpy, I am new with the fondant so I have never made my own. I am a self tought baker so I have no professional classes under my belt except the Wilton classes and those are basic. So Not sure if I would be comfortable I guess I would have to try it before hand to see.

Thank you all again !!!! icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclvs2

icon_biggrin.gif

I think that would be just fine. I did mine at home then transported, but I don't see why you can't put yours on at the hall. Just take some extras in case a few break. They go on quickly. A little dab of buttercream on the back of each daisy and plop them on!

Limpy Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #14 of 31

What is going to be below the fondant flower? Fondant or buttercream? When I did the 200 cupcakes, there was a buttercream swirl & then the fondant flower on top. It is my understanding that after a while,buttercream will break down the fondant,so because of this, I didn't want to add the flowers too early.The cupcakes were frosted & I carried the flowers seperately in a tin. I added the flowers at the venue. Took no time at all to just place the flowers on top. As mentioned previously, I took an extra half dozen flowers in case of breakage.P.M. me & I will forward a photo. icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpy

What is going to be below the fondant flower? Fondant or buttercream? It is my understanding that after a while, buttercream will break down the fondant,so because of this, I didn't want to add the flowers too early.The cupcakes were frosted & I carried the flowers seperately in a tin. I added the flowers at the venue. Took no time at all to just place the flowers on top.

Very good point and that's the reason I use gumpaste instead of fondant. I made the mistake of doing cupcakes with a big swirl of b/c then put three little fondant flowers on top and when I got the cupcakes out the next morning for hubs to take to work, all the flowers were moist, wilty and sticky. Bleah. So now I only use gumpaste and they hold up beautifully on a b/c swirl.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #16 of 31

You can make them even months ahead.. The trick is to let them dry completely in an open area for at least a week.
After that you can put them in an airtight container for even years.. Store them either on a bed of foam or paper.
Gumpaste is best, but you can use fondant with tylose.

Both of them need proper time to dry. IN AN OPEN AREA. If you seal them before they are dry, they will never dry properly, and thats the major reasons for melt downs.
Edna icon_smile.gif

jclvs2 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:45am
post #17 of 31

Yes Limpy , Thanks for asking, actually it is a buttercream smooth swirl. I have heard the same as far as fondant breaking down . Thanks for the tip though.

You know I think I am going to try the flowers out of gumpaste and see how they come out if it looks the same then maybe I will just go with that. Sound like more people prefer the gumpaste anyway. I just never worked with it before.

The bride also requested the fondant flowers so I would have to talk with her again to see if she is set on fondant or if she is willing to go with the GP. Thanks newmansmom2004 for your thoughts on the flowers sounds like a good plan! Thank all!!

jclvs2 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #18 of 31

Thank you too Edna! that is very helpful. I have made figures out of the wilton ready made fondant but not sure if that has the tylos your talking about, I will have to check. Is it Ok to cover them when they are drying with like parch. or wax paper? Since they need to be out for a bit. Thanks icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #19 of 31

Is not neccesary to cover them. Unless you have ants..lol..They should be fine. Wilton fondant doesnt have tylose.
Tylose is a powder that is used for making gumpaste.
I have a few tutorials in youtube. One of them is on how to make gumpaste
Here is the link to my homepage

Edna icon_smile.gif

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #20 of 31

You could also try making them with modeling chocolate. I just made my first batch today (super easy...corn syrup and candy melts or chocolate). I kneaded it today and it has a fondant like consistency, but it doesn't get cracked and crumbly like some fondant can. And it tastes AMAZING! Just an idea...

jclvs2 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:36am
post #21 of 31

Thank you Edna , nope no ants here, lol ! I will check you on you-tube thanks for the link!

Naultlover, Thanks for the idea I have never worked with modeling clay either but I think this is giving me the opportunity to try the different mediums. I am greatful I still have time to try them instead of just rushing to the fondant. Thank you everyone for all your advice and tips and all the links. it has been a true blessing!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jclvs2 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:39am
post #22 of 31

Thank you Edna , nope no ants here, lol ! I will check you on you-tube thanks for the link!

Naultlover, Thanks for the idea I have never worked with modeling clay either but I think this is giving me the opportunity to try the different mediums. I am greatful I still have time to try them instead of just rushing to the fondant. Thank you everyone for all your advice and tips and all the links. it has been a true blessing!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jclvs2 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:35am
post #23 of 31

Edna!! Wow!! I just watched a few of your tutoriols on you-tube. First, It is nice to have a face to go along with the posts here at CC. You did an awesome job ! Very proffesional and very educating. I will be watching more ,I put you in my favorites so you will be right at my finger tips if I need help.

I did watch the how to make gumpaste and looks simple enough to make . I just need to find the tylos. We have a few bakery supplies here locally that I will have to call or visit to see if they have it.

I liked how you showed how to stack a 4 tier cake also. I have not done one yet but I know I will be more prepared now. I am doing a baby shower 3 tier cake for this Saturday so it was good to see how you do yours. Im excited to visit your website. Blessings to you!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:12am
post #24 of 31

You welcome!..If you can't find tylose locally, there is always internet.
Good luck!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Limpy Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:15pm
post #25 of 31

The bonus to doing a 50/50 gumpaste,fondant mixture is that the flowers are not rock hard,less chance of breakage (as the flowers are not so brittle),are edible (I ate one to check the taste) & the biggest bonus for me is that this mixture is less expensive,as gumpaste alone, can be costly. Just something for you to think about.

Win Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #26 of 31

Hey jclvs2, I sent you a PM with some links you might find helpful and wanted to add that if you choose to go straight gumpaste, a bag of Wilton premade will go a very long way and you can get that for as little as $8.99 without a coupon or if you have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels nearby you can get it with a coupon 40% or 50% off. I, personally, love the Wilton premade and all the flowers in my gallery are made with it. There was another post running about Satin Ice gumpaste vs. Wilton and there were a surprisingly great number of people who love the Wilton (surprising because so many on CC are usually anti-Wilton anything.) icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #27 of 31

I think the Wilton gumpaste is good.. Actually I think is even better than the gumpaste from Satin Ice. But I have used both. And sometimes depending on the texture, since is not consistent I combine them.
For example...
Satin Ice comes sometimes hard as a rock, you can add either fondant, or some Tylose gumpaste to make it more workable.

Wilton sometimes comes hard or sometimes dries too fast. Add some fondant. Or tylose gumpaste.
As you start playing with all of them you will start knowing how to fix the texture.
And eventually you will be able to play with all of them with no problems.
One thing, stay away from bakels, that gumpaste doesnt dry!.
Edna icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #28 of 31

I am a cookier, but would love to make gerbera daisies someday. Thanks for all of the great information! icon_smile.gif

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #29 of 31

jclvs2, thanks for posting the link to where you got your Gerber Daisy set. I have been looking for a good template and love to make these. This will definately help w/ making them and get the look I am trying to achieve. Thanks again.

jclvs2 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:41pm
post #30 of 31

Hey your welcome Caralinc ! I did go there myself again and saw them so it is correct. Have fun TracyLH I love mine!

Thanks again Edna ! Good info again !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%