Petal Shape Cake Boards

Decorating By campbelland Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm by campbelland

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:39am
post #1 of 9

Could anyone tell me where I can order the petal shaped cake boards? I need them Aug. 1st for a wedding cake. I know Iv seen them on the web somewhere but cant remember where. Thanks, Sandy

8 replies
Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 9

I think I remember seeing them on creativecutters (Canadian site) and there was a US site but I just draw a blank on it.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 9

www.creativecutters.com

They ship to the US from their warehouse in Buffalo NY

campbelland Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much for your helpful info, I will call them. Thanks again, Sandy

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 9

Why not just cut your own from foamcore using the pans as templates?

Unless you plan to make lots of petal shaped cakes, in which case, ordering them is a better idea so never mind. icon_smile.gif

campbelland Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 9

No I dont expect to make many of these shaped cakes since Im borrowing the pans in the first place. How is the best way to cut foam board and thick would you use? Thanks, Sandy

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 9

I usually use the 3/16" foamboard under the upper tiers. Some people use 1/2 inch, but I think that's overkill - unless you want REALLY high tiers.

I use a #2 craft knife blade (Xacto or Excel brands). It's the same shape as the ordinary blade (#11 if I recall correctly) but larger. I can cut a shape from 3/16" foamboard in two passes. If it's just a straight line, I can cut it in one pass.

I've also had great success with the Xacto foamboard cutter. I bought it because I thought I could use it on 1/2" foamboard. That's when I learned that 1/2" foamboard is 1/2" of foam PLUS the paper on each side, which makes it slightly thicker than 1/2". So, it doesn't work at all on 1/2" because the blade is too short.

Long story short (too late, I know), I paid $20 for a very fancy 3/16" board cutter. If you feel like splurging, it's a nice cutter. Tho, I suppose if you're in a spending mood, you'll just buy the petal shaped boards. icon_smile.gif

Some people claim to have great success with the heated craft knife. I hated it. It moves too slowly and stinks to holy heaven. I gave mine away. I can zip through all my cake boards with a #2 blade in the time it takes for that crazy thing to heat up. icon_smile.gif

Oh -- and just a word of advice on the petal pans if you've never used them before --- They are not perfectly symmetrical. So, if at all possible, mark one petal (the same petal) on everything you make from the board to the cake so you can line everything up later.

I realize you're borrowing these pans, so it may not be practical, but I took a pair of pliers and made the tiniest little dent in the lip of the pan on one petal (also did this with my hex pans). That way, I can always match everything up to that petal and not have to spin the cake around on the board to find how it fits.

Draw a little X on the marked petal on your cake board. The hardest thing to remember is marking that petal on your cake after you turn it out of the pan. Once you take the pan away, forget it, you're toast. icon_smile.gif

This is just a suggestion. Most people don't do this, so don't worry about it. icon_smile.gif

campbelland Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 9

Thank You for all the great advice. I will use it all. Thanks so much. Im not buying the boards after all, they are too expensive. Ill try the foam board. Thanks, Sandy

campbelland Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 9

Thank You for all the great advice. I will use it all. Thanks so much. Im not buying the boards after all, they are too expensive. Ill try the foam board. Thanks, Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%