Too Much For Beginner?

Business By shadowcat1501 Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 9:38am by shadowcat1501

shadowcat1501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowcat1501 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:22am
post #1 of 21

Hello everyone! I could really use some advice if you wouldn't mind. I bought my first cake decorating tip set in April 2009. Since then, I've been baking and decorating up a storm. Thanks to everyone here at CC, I've learned so much! What I need advice on is this: People are starting to want to buy cakes from me (which is really good), but I'm not at all sure of how to price them. I've read on here that some people get as much as $5.00 to $7.00 per serving. That would be wonderful, but I don't feel like I can charge that much since I've only been doing this for a few months. Actually, I just finished my first "paid" cake today. It is the Tinkerbell cake in my photos. I priced it for $30.00 (because it was for an aunt who is always doing favors for me), but I told her that if anyone asks, the regular price would be about $50.00 (based on my estimated price of $1.25 per serving for buttercream and extra for cut-outs, painting, etc.). I'd just like some opinions as to whether you think this a fair price or not for a beginner.
LL

20 replies
sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:43am
post #2 of 21

That cake is amazing!! You should be very proud thumbs_up.gif .
I would price that cake around 60-75 dollars,because of the details of the face ,fondant,etc.
Great Job

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:45am
post #3 of 21

The Tinkerbell is great. You did a fantastic job and will only get better. What helped me determine my prices is I compared myself with others around me. What are they charging? What would I need to charge to make a profit? You need to sit down and determine what sizes you will offer, how many servings are in each size, how much do the ingredients and supplies cost (boxes, boards, support for stacked cakes, YOUR TIME!). You don't want to short change yourself.

Good luck!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 21

You did an outstanding job on the cake! Tinkerbell looks so awesome!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 21

Wow! Tinkerbell looks great!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 21

Wow! Fantastic!! I don't think that you should charge by how long you've been at it, charge at where your skill level is. That looks amazing!!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #7 of 21

Hi Shadowcat,

I strongly recommend you download and try using my Home and Hobby Matrix. You will need to have Microsoft Excel 97 or newer. This will help you price your cakes accordingly. $1.25 is very low for someone of your level. I recommend looking to see what your costs come to and paying yourself at least $9-10 per hour for your cakes ontop of cost. That should come out to more like $2.50 per serving. Hope this helps!

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #8 of 21

The price is based on your work, not on how long you have been doing it.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:50am
post #9 of 21

icon_eek.gif Wow! Tink looks awesome!

loriana Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy_chef

The price is based on your work, not on how long you have been doing it.

Yup yup! And your work is very good. Make sure you pay yourself for that good quality you provide people icon_smile.gif Your Tink cake is very pretty icon_smile.gif

shadowcat1501 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:29am
post #11 of 21

I just wanted to thank you all for your encouragement and kind words. I really do appreciate you taking time to offer your advice. This website is priceless!!! Cake Central has the friendliest members of any website I know.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:50am
post #12 of 21

And congratulations on getting licensed and legal so quickly. 'Cause you know you have to do that to sell cakes, right?

kandu001 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #13 of 21

Funny way to put that leahs, cause it's true!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 21

Yeah, I'm working on finding my "softer side."

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Yeah, I'm working on finding my "softer side."

hehehe

shadowcat1501 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks leahs for using your "softer side" lol. I am not legal yet, but I'm working on it. Trying to draw up my business plan and all that. I'm also in the house hunting process to try to find one that already has two kitchens in it (ie a duplex) as it is required in my state to have a separate kitchen. I've been reading these forums like crazy to get as much info as I can on the business of baking. For me, I just think it's better all around for both myself and the customer, to be legal. Boy, this stuff takes time though, but well worth it in the end I'm sure. icon_smile.gif

loriana Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcat1501

Thanks leahs for using your "softer side" lol. I am not legal yet, but I'm working on it. Trying to draw up my business plan and all that. I'm also in the house hunting process to try to find one that already has two kitchens in it (ie a duplex) as it is required in my state to have a separate kitchen. I've been reading these forums like crazy to get as much info as I can on the business of baking. For me, I just think it's better all around for both myself and the customer, to be legal. Boy, this stuff takes time though, but well worth it in the end I'm sure. icon_smile.gif

That's great! Good luck with the licensing!!

kandu001 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 21

A duples is a great idea!! Two kitchens, a restroom, extra rooms for storage of supplies! Wow! That makes me want to look into opening my own bakery from a duplex too! I live in FL and you have to have a separate area here too, so what a great idea you have! Thanks and good luck to you!

shadowcat1501 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #19 of 21

Thanks kandu001. I just thought that it would be less expensive to purchase a property that already has an extra kitchen. Like you said, you'd have the separte kitchen, a restroom and plenty of storage areas too. It would also mean you'd have a separate entrance. I guess you'd have to watch out for zoning issues though. Some areas are not zoned "commercial".

kandu001 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:45am
post #20 of 21

Good point. It's definitely worth looking into though!!

shadowcat1501 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:38am
post #21 of 21

Thank you very much for the pricing matrix loriana, but I don't have excel installed on my pc. icon_sad.gif I could have really used that too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%