Fondants And Making Shapes: Help Needed Please

Decorating By sepi Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 9:02am by bashini

sepi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sepi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 7

Hi. I am a new user and also a new cake decorator. It's just as a hobby. I am trying to make my daughter's birthday cake and I wanted to make a crown to sit on top of the cake. I have made my own fondant, just so it tastes better. I have also made a few crowns out of fondant. I need help in figuring out how to 1)color the fondant? 2)Let the fondant dry before making it into a crown? 3)Can I refrigerate it? 4) How do I prevent cracks in it?
Any help would be much appreciated.

6 replies
raggedyann11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raggedyann11 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 7

first knead your fondant untill it gets smooth and pliable. to color your fondant you will need some rubber gloves, otherwise your hands will get stained. add a small about of paste color with a toothpick. then start to knead the color in. add more if needed for desired color.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 7

Hi there, welcome to CC. I think you need to add a bit of CMC/Tylose powder to make the paste stronger and dry quicker. Colour the fondant like raggedyann11 mentioned above and then add some CMC powder to it and knead well. I personaly leave it overnight and then knead it again the other day. You can use it straight away, if you are in a hurry. Or you can mix 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. That will work well too!

Here is how Sugarshack makes a crown,

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/making-gumpaste-crown.html

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sepi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the responses.

sepi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the hints. When I leave the fondant and I need to come back to it, do I need to add water or microwave it or just knead it for it to become workable again? Also love the website that was suggested bashini. For the coloring, does food coloring work or should I use a special kind of coloring?

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 7

you can go to u tube and they have alot of vido's personally i'd use 1/2 fondant and 1/2 gumpaste

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 9:02am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepi

Thanks for the hints. When I leave the fondant and I need to come back to it, do I need to add water or microwave it or just knead it for it to become workable again? Also love the website that was suggested bashini. For the coloring, does food coloring work or should I use a special kind of coloring?

Just knead it when you want to use it again. But make sure you keep it an airtight bag. To colour the paste, I use paste colours. You can use wilton paste colours or Americolour. But when you want to get a particular colour, you have to keep on adding the paste colour until you get the colour you want. That might alter the texture of the fondant. So what I would suggest is that you buy the already coloured fondant, and add CMC/tylose to it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%