Cake Circles-Cardboard, Waxed Or Foiled??

Decorating By hellohappycakes Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 5:09am by Rylan

hellohappycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellohappycakes Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 16

Which is best to use? I can easily find the plain cardboard rounds, but the waxed ones might be great. Has anyone used them......do the cakes slide around? Does the wax flake off? Or are foil rounds better. I would be using them between layers on fondant covered cakes......Thanks in advance for all of your answers icon_smile.gif

15 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 16

I've always used just the plain cardboard cake circles on my cakes. I do not cover them with saran or foil when used between layers of cakes. Often I will put a smear of frosting on the circle before adding the cake just to 'glue' it when I'm working on a multi tier cake to lessen the chance of cake shifting while I'm working on it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I've always used just the plain cardboard cake circles on my cakes. I do not cover them with saran or foil when used between layers of cakes. Often I will put a smear of frosting on the circle before adding the cake just to 'glue' it when I'm working on a multi tier cake to lessen the chance of cake shifting while I'm working on it.

Ditto.

justdi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdi Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 16

I guess I'm odd man out on this one....

I always use 3 foil covered cardboards (wrapped together to make 1 really thick base) making sure it's completely covered and sealed on the bottom w/ packing tape.

Since opening the store, I've seen pictures of and heard of soooo many ppl having cracked sides on cakes or cakes falling over from the support giving out... plus, I've smelled wet cardboard and don't ever want to worry about that smell/taste getting into the cake. Even though the waxed boards keep the top dry, they do still allow the grease/moisture to get into the corrugation thru the sides of the board.

My standard answer when students or customers ask why I would "spend so much extra money using that many boards":
- first, if you do the math you'll realize it is actually usually less than a dollar extra for a 3 tier cake, then ask yourself "is an extra dollar or two in cardboards & foil really worth risking a cake falling over for?!?"

That said... here's a couple things that may be different from others...
- I don't use any plastic plates for support w/ the cardboards (some will do JUST boards or some use 1 board w/ a Wilton/Bakery Craft/etc. plate)
- Also, I ice all my cakes and fully assemble/stack them on Friday so everything's ready for deliveries on Saturday. Others may not be doing this and not needing to worry about stuff holding up for support as long as I expect mine to hold.

HTH!
Di icon_smile.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 16

Di....are you saying you use 3 circles between EACH layer or as a base for the entire cake? I do use a more sturdy BASE for any of my cakes, but only one circle between tiers that are stacked, and one cardboard on the plastic plates if they are separated by pillars. I believe the OP was asking about between layers on tiers, not for a base.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Ditto.

ditto. for years.

justdi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:41am
post #7 of 16
Quote:

Di....are you saying you use 3 circles between EACH layer or as a base for the entire cake? I do use a more sturdy BASE for any of my cakes, but only one circle between tiers that are stacked, and one cardboard on the plastic plates if they are separated by pillars. I believe the OP was asking about between layers on tiers, not for a base.

Yes... 3 boards for each tier - then I use 1/2" plywood circles as a baseboard.

Di icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:41am
post #8 of 16

For cardboard between tiers, I use regular cardboard circles covered in plastic wrap.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:33am
post #9 of 16

For they birthday cake I made for my mom last week, I didn't cover the cardboards (Wilton), as I read that many people on here don't. I finished the cake on Saturday for the Sunday Party. When I cut and served the cake, the cardboards were damp AND the bottom of the cake was slightly soggy. That's the last and only time I'll not cover my cardboards. Maybe other brands don't absorb as much, but for the low volume of cakes I made, Wilton cardboards are the easiest for me to obtain. Maybe you could try it for a small cake and see what you think after the cake has sat for a day or so.

hellohappycakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:45am
post #10 of 16

I was looking at a sugar art catalog and I saw the waxed boards....and I thought it was a great idea....so none of you use them???? WHen you cover the boards in between layers......do cover them with fanci-foil???

I always use a little BC to stop sliding, but I do notice the slightly soggy cardboard and want to prevent it. The waxed boards are $$$ and so are the foil...anyone use prefoiled boards?

THanks for all of you responses!!

hellohappycakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:48am
post #11 of 16

I was looking at a sugar art catalog and I saw the waxed boards....and I thought it was a great idea....so none of you use them???? WHen you cover the boards in between layers......do cover them with fanci-foil???

I always use a little BC to stop sliding, but I do notice the slightly soggy cardboard and want to prevent it. The waxed boards are $$$ and so are the foil...anyone use prefoiled boards?

hellohappycakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:48am
post #12 of 16

hellohappycakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #13 of 16

RylanTy.....
OK, you cover the board with plastic wrap, then do you use another board for the bottom of the cake on top?

Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:29am
post #14 of 16

I'm not sure what you mean. The I cover the cardboard circles that that goes under each cake with plastic wrap. I use a wooden board for the whole cake to sit on.

hellohappycakes Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:46am
post #15 of 16

I mean....exactly as you described.....but to add this question...when the cake is served, aren't you afraid that the plastic will get cut and perhaps even served?

Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:09am
post #16 of 16

Actually, I've never had the plastic get cut. When I cut the cakes.and use use a NON serrated knife, it doesn't damage the plastic (in my experience).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%