What Is The Most Anyone Has Every Paid You For A Cake?

Decorating By krissy_kze Updated 23 Aug 2005 , 8:50am by peg818

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 20

I'm just wondering after looking at a couple sites where they start at $500 and $800. I just don't think people in my area would fork over that kind of money for a cake.

Are you in a small or big town and what was your priciest cake?

Thanks!!

19 replies
Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 20

yeah, I live in kind of a small town.... well, huge for the fact that it's basically in the middle of nowhere, but it has all the shops and great schooling opportunities of a big town. Complete with at least 4 well-known coffee shops (they pop up almost everywhere!). icon_rolleyes.gif I could never imagine selling a cake for that much without it being a massively intricate detailed wedding cake!

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 20

I usually charge about $2-$2.50 a serving. I live in central CT, and this is WAAAAAAY cheaper than a bakery here! Even so, I usually add extra gum paste flowers, or ribbon, or whatever and shrink my profits on myself. I want them to look good! I even get tipped sometimes! I just did a cake and charged $80 and they gave me $100! Pretty cool!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 20

The most expensive cake I was ever going to do was a 3 tiered wedding cake for a girl from NY city. It was to be chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse and raspberries filling. Dark chocolate ganache on the outside with individual chocolate pieces placed on the sides of the cake like a mosaic and some floral accents. Price $560. (for 130 people)
I say WAS.. because this reception was to be held on Sept 14, 2001 at a banquet facility on the top floor of the World Trade Center. Three days after 9/11 icon_cry.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif I cannot tell you how terrible I felt for that couple. As far as I know they did not do a big wedding, and no.. I did not end up doing their cake.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 20

Oh, Gingoodies, what a sad story for everyone!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 20

The most I've been paid for a cake is $370, for the most recent wedding cake I did. It served 110 @ $3 a serving, plus $40 for the sugared fruit. It wasn't the biggest cake I've made, but the biggest ones I've done have all been gifts!

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 20

Gingoodies, That is sooooooooooo sad. I got goosebumps when I read it!!

Daniela

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 20

The most I've been paid for a cake was $750... Money wasn't an issue for these people... I also did over $500 in cookies for them!! I like those kind of customers!! icon_lol.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 20

Well, since I've only been paid for 3 cakes so far, my most expensive cake has been $35 (probably worth $50-$60, though.)

icon_lol.gif

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 20

I received $452 for a basic wedding cake to feed 250, Grooms cake, 50 cupcakes, and the cake topper that I had purchased for the couple. I think this was a very fair deal and so did the customer.

I loved it!

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 20

I received 735.00 for "Simone's Roses" posted in my photos. I like the ones that money is not an issue too.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 20

most expensive was $200 for cascading spray of gumpaste flowers they transported 12 hours to put on a cake made by a baker who did not do flowers but his cake was to die for I guess.

I've done more expensive cales but never just the flowers

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiAZ

The most I've been paid for a cake was $750... Money wasn't an issue for these people... I also did over $500 in cookies for them!! I like those kind of customers!! icon_lol.gif

Do you have pics posted here of that cake & those cookies? I'd love to see them!! icon_smile.gif

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 11:49pm
post #14 of 20

You guys that live in areas where people will pay a lot per slice are soooo lucky! Where I live they won't pay that much. icon_cry.gif

I began 2 years ago charging $1 per slice for wedding cake. I am now up to $1.25 and feel like I'll never get another order! I know some ladies only charge .85 per slice!!!!!

Still, I've made $300 on a wedding cake and it feels good. But man, I can't imagine earning $500 for a simple cake. That would be so great.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:10am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiAZ

Do you have pics posted here of that cake & those cookies? I'd love to see them!! icon_smile.gif

Yep... If you look at my photos it's funky colored cake...It was pretty big cake. The hardest thing about the cake was getting the tiers airbrushed the right color..Took forever!! I can't find my pictures of the cookies. icon_cry.gif They were decorated fire trucks!!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:16am
post #16 of 20

About 400.00-500.00 is an average for me on nice cakes fondant ones to serve around 100. BC more like 275.00

becca0926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becca0926 Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:16am
post #17 of 20

Tami you do BEAUUUUTIFUL work.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:28am
post #18 of 20

Wow, Tami!! I aspire to your greatness!!! lol No, really - I do! I hope to be able to do a cake like that one day! BEAUTIFUL!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 4:14am
post #19 of 20

The highest price cake was the 1st wedding I did. I was only going to charge $175 for it (because I was new) but the Mom of the Bride said she liked me so much that she would not pay me $175 that she would pay me $250!! Honest it's the truth!! icon_smile.gif I also did the groom's cake & charged $135 for it. So I did good for my 1st time. Now it depends on the cake as to what I charge. They are mostly all the same size so I usually make $250 or more on wedding cakes. Next year... I'm raising prices!! icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:50am
post #20 of 20

My average wedding cake runs around 250-300 the most expensive was $5 a serving it was fondant covered with gumpaste roses running around each tier. Was $250 and served 50

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%