Dumb Question But Can I Bake Cakes On Multiple Racks?

Decorating By SueB Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 10:17pm by scnix

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone, this seems like a dumb question because I have been baking for years but have never done this before. I have a average electric Kenmore home stove and when I have a bunch of cakes to bake I wondered if I can raise or lower my racks to use multiple racks at the same time? I have 5 different positions to put my racks and normally use the 4th position to bake my cakes. Will the cakes bake okay if I move one of my racks up and bake a cake on say the 2nd position?

Thanks for answering my question!
Sue

7 replies
leah379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah379 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 8

I have been baking cakes all morning. I need 9 cakes total so I have been baking two small sizes on my middle rack and one large on my top rack. Not sure if that is the right way to do it, but my cake teacher said it would be fine as long as you stagger them. For example, I place the two on the middle rack on either side of the oven and then the larger one that is on top, I place centered between the two below it. Does that make sense?

leah379 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 8

I have been baking cakes all morning. I need 9 cakes total so I have been baking two small sizes on my middle rack and one large on my top rack. Not sure if that is the right way to do it, but my cake teacher said it would be fine as long as you stagger them. For example, I place the two on the middle rack on either side of the oven and then the larger one that is on top, I place centered between the two below it. Does that make sense?

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks Leah, let me know how your cakes turn out.

leah379 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 8

well I am done baking all my layers and they turned out perfectly. icon_smile.gif Good luck with yours!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 8

I've wondered that myself...it seems (could be coincidence?) that when I try to bake 2 half-sheet cakes (1 1/2" high pans) at the same time, one of them inevitably sticks to the pan...Does anyone know of any science behind this? Is it b/c the heat does not reach all parts of the pan at the same time?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 8

I use my regular oven all the time, racks full, and I have no problems. I have one rack on the second-from-bottom position, and one a couple of slots up from that. I've even thrown an extra rack that came with my roasting pan in there in times of desperation and baked an extra pan full on that, with the roasting pan rack sitting on the bottom rack, straddling the other pans!

The only thing is that you have to have enough air circulation between the top of the bottom rack and the bottom of the top rack, but as long as they're not right on top of each other it should be fine.

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 8

I do it all the time too. I do notice it takes a little longer to bake than just with one cake. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%