Cutouts Into Cake

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm by aligotmatt

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 4

The idea is that I will have a yellow cake with daisies cut into the yellow fondant and white fondant will be underneath.

I covered my cakes in white fondant.

Then I rolled out my yellow fondant, put the cutouts into it, covered it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge. Pulled it out and covered the cake with it. Overall, it worked, but it had bad elephant skin, ya know?

I peeled that off. Then I covered the cake in white fondant, covered it in yellow fondant and attempted to cutout like that. It was unsuccessful as well. As I was cutting, it was pulling fondant away and distorting what I wanted the image to be.

This should be that hard, right? What is the right way? and does it involve crying?

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 4

I've seen fondant inlays done more than cutouts showing another color underneath. I haven't tried it, but basically you use the cutter on the fondant covering the cake, then replace the piece you cut out with one of another color.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

The idea is that I will have a yellow cake with daisies cut into the yellow fondant and white fondant will be underneath.

I covered my cakes in white fondant.

Then I rolled out my yellow fondant, put the cutouts into it, covered it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge. Pulled it out and covered the cake with it. Overall, it worked, but it had bad elephant skin, ya know?

Why would you roll the yellow then put that in the frig? Why not just put it on the cake immedately? I only put fondant in the frig after it's already on the cake (and rubbed with shortening.) If I were to guess I'd say that's why you got elephant skin issues.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 4

Well I put it in the fridge covered in saran wrap and on a heavily crisco'd mat. The reason was the cutouts wouldn't lose their form when the fondant was picked up. They did successfully hold their form, but the elephant skin issue...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%